***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atom003

atom003 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for the quick reply. I tried the ec reset by turning off my laptop by holding down the power button, unplugged charger, and had my battery reset by pushing the pinhole button on the right side.

The red flashing battery indicator went away and is blue at the moment. Though I am still having issues with my laptop showing the incorrect percentage of the battery. Whenever I start my laptop with the charger plugged in, the battery is at and stays at 0% "calculating" remaining hour. When I start my laptop with the charger unplugged, the battery shows it's at 100% (hours remaining can go up and down between 2hr30mins~1hr15mins). Unfortunately the Laptop keeps shutting off automatically about 10-15mins after I unplug my charger, and it wont turn back on unless I plug the charger back in.

I'm guessing that my battery is not holding up charge? if not I have no idea what is wrong with it. I still have three to four more month of warranty so I can have MSI fix it, but this being my second time to have them RMA. I'm a bit frustrated and afraid that it is going to cause more issues down the road after warranty ends... I've only had this laptop for almost a year and haven't even done any intensive gaming on it. Very disappointed at MSI laptop as of now.

2. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A post from fredz got me thinking... So newest GS60 (skylake) laptops have support for NVMe SSDs BUT they aren't installed in any pre-builds??
    I don't know why, but I was sure that pre-installed drives are NVMe M.2 SSDs not basic M.2 SSDs... Maybe this information "1 x 2.5" HDD + 1 x NVMe M.2 SSD by PCIe Gen3 X4 / SATA-SSD Combo " on msi page(s) is kinda misleading...

3. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I always love a friendly +rep (hint)

You have only a year of warranty? Shouldn't it be 3 years? And one year of accidental damage coverage?

Where did you buy the computer from?

4. mason2smart

Reputations:
    The 053 does not come with one the other 970m model does

5. mason2smart

Reputations:
    Did you unplug it before resetting?

6. sz1a

sz1a Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys, is anyone else experiencing that the keyboard needs to be pressed hard to register a key? Frequently when playing games I notice that w a s d and shift don't always register. After testing the other buttons it is the same, there's a gap between having the button depressed and registering the keystroke. When running in-game for example holding w depressed the character frequently stops as a result of this. Is it just my unit or is this common?

7. mason2smart

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if there is a smaller, lighter power compatible with the gs60 053?

The brick the laptop shipped with is very heavy compared to my other 330W brick that came with my Razer Blade Pro...

8. atom003

atom003 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Gotcha.

I bought it from XoticPC. Maybe the one year warranty was referring to the accidental damage.

Yes I held down the power button, unplugged charger, and had my battery reset by pushing the pinhole button on the right side.

mason2smart likes this.
  9. mason2smart

Reputations:
    I would contact Xotic PC first and ask them if you did anything wrong and see if they have any suggestions.

Then contact MSI
    According to the GT80 forum (yep I'm getting a Titan :D) you can request to talk to a MSI engineer.
    If you RMA, you should do it through Xoticpc

I have had a great experience with xoticpc so far. You can start a private conversation with an xotic PC rep or the MSI rep On the forums.

@pat@XOTICPC

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  10. Yippee38

Yippee38 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just picked one up from MicroCenter (need it quick).

Do any of you guys have a protective sleeve for your Ghost Pro? If so, which one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.