***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foreigner

Foreigner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    EDIT: I think I figured out where I did wrong, delete this post please.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. Georald Camposano

Georald Camposano Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Inspired by an oc'ed gs40 on the gs40 thread, I tried to do a little overclocking with afterburner. Turns out the gs60 can easily reach the core clock limit (is it a bios limit?) which is +135mhz on core, but I've only tested Firestrike so it could or could not be stable. Highest score I was able to produce was 7094 (http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6741006) @ +130mhz which is around 500 more than what I normally get. 135mhz for some reason gave out a slightly lower score.

3. aqnb

aqnb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yup, seems pretty similar OC to what @HTWingNut was getting in his GS60 Haswell model review (+125 MHz core, +400 MHz memory):

[​IMG]

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...with-gtx-970m-6gb-review-by-htwingnut.765829/

4. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Two questions for all owners:

1)Are those numbers for battery life somewhat accurate ? http://www.kitguru.net/laptops/zardon/msi-gs60-6qe-ghost-pro-4k-laptop-review/20/
    I'm most interested in battery life for something similar or same as "businessman" in this article (actual usage in university; so Office programs, PyCharm and Chrome). If battery can really least almost 6 hours that's more than enough. What is *real* battery life for those tasks on GS60?

2)Is there any noticeable difference between 6gb and 3gb version of a 970m? I'm asking because I'm not sure if there is enough "power" in 970m processor to handle between more than 3gb and less than 6gb of data and work with it anyways. I understand that higher resolutions allocate more VRAM. I would like to use 1 or 2 additional screens with GS60 when working with Premiere and some other programs-not gaming. I believe there is no benefit for 6gb vram in games like I mentioned because GPU itself can't "crunch" so much data. If any of you -owners- could connect two or one external display and open something like premiere and check VRAM usage I would be very thankful :).
    It is (as far as I know) impossible to get 6gb 970m model in Europe--USA only so that would be a little problem that I would be happy to avoid if it's not relevant (to buy 3gb or 6gb).

5. Georald Camposano

Georald Camposano Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    While I have never had time to actually "time" its battery life and do scientific tests, I have no idea how kitguru was able to reach 5 hours with half brightness + wifi running especially with the 4k model, unless the 4k model has a bigger battery. One time I left my gs60 playing a movie at 25% brightness + wifi and power saving, I believe it only managed 2 1/2 hours and that was running off the onboard intel gpu. With nothing running + wifi and power saving, even Windows only gives estimates of around 3 hours. My guess is they reviewed a pre-production unit? Maybe something with a larger battery?

As for your gpu ram question, not sure. I would imagine having 2 monitors hooked wouldn't be a problem even for a 1gb gpu but your Premiere needs would most likely depend on how complex your video is. Again, no experience with that application so I can't really help you with that specific scenario. For gaming though, I haven't had any issues with the 3gb part yet. My desktop has a 3gb 780 and I have never encountered a game yet that would exhibit symptoms of low memory (such as disk trashing).

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    They usually are pretty good with saying when they have a pre-production unit but perhaps they did, 5 hours is more than we have seen.

7. Foreigner

Foreigner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My experience with my usage is that I can bring the laptop to the living room, connect to tv through hdmi, turn off wifi, watch a 90 min movie and it will have about 30-45 min left. Broadwell 1080p.

8. Kato42

Kato42 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm considering buying the gs60 4K skylake Microsoft signature edition from the Microsoft store. They claim no bloatware and improved battery life. I have a few questions I hope you all can help with:

1. Will I be missing any essential software which is needed for the gs60?
    2. If yes, can I reinstall the needed software easily?
    3. Is signature edition a good idea for this laptop?

Thanks!

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    When we say bloatware, it has two meanings nowadays.
    1. Preloaded software bundled with adware.
    2. Manufacturer software that aren't needed by users, let's call them junkware instead.

I am assuming that the machine is still the same as the the regular version from MSI and MSI never really loaded any bloatware on their machines except some junkware maybe.

10. Oushin

Oushin Newbie

Reputations:
    It's nice to see my year-old stock GS60 2QE-044 is still holding up to the new Skylake processors! (http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3090553)

One concern though, I've started to hear a very subtle rattling noise in my CPU (right side) fan, no matter at what RPM the fan is spinning. My GS60 used to be dead quiet on idle, but this rattling noise is slightly noticeable, especially when studying in a quiet library.
    It may be unnoticeable in a normal room, but I can hear it if I place my ears near the exhaust on the right side of my GS60.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace a CPU fan on the GS60? And maybe where I could buy one too? I'm going to open it up this weekend to dust it out, but I doubt it will fix it.
    Happy Holidays everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.