***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryzeki

ryzeki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I had this issue with a couple of Lenovo laptops I have at work. It sure take a while, but I am not sure what caused it.

2. AGabi

AGabi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, I flashed the EC... And I can see actually EC ver. In system information tab

3. fredz

fredz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I ordered my GS60 4k. It has 1TB HDD+ 256 GB SSD. I suppose I can just replace the 1TB HDD with any Sata SSD?
    What form factor does the stock 256 GB SSD have. M.2 I suppose? Is it 6 of 8 cm in length?

4. Aryemis

Aryemis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The M2 SSD has to be 2280 format, whatever that means, it has to be SATA though, unless you have a Skylake with the pci-e SSD, then I guess it would have to be a pci-e SSD ?
    Be aware though that accessing the M2 SSD slots (and the RAM), is alot of work, since they are on the other side of the motherboard (on keyboard side), so you have to take out the motherboard and unplug lots of stuff.
    Changing the 2.5" drive is easy though, it's easily accessible. And yeah any 2.5" SSD will work.

5. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Question for all GS60 Skylake owners: What do you like and what do you hate the most on this laptop? :) Before buying one for myself (first gaming and first MSI laptop) I would be really happy to hear feedback from people that actually own this computer and had been using it for some time...

I'm looking forward to your replies

6. Georald Camposano

Georald Camposano Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just bought one last week so I don't know how qualified I am to be giving out impressions but the one thing I really like about it is how light the thing is. Its even lighter than the laptop I was initially planning to get (dell xps 15). It also looks really good and unlike other monstrous gaming laptops of similar specs, it isn't really something you would be ashamed of to whip out in public (that msi emblem really is the only blemish to an otherwise great looking laptop).

The only downside I can think of is the imo subpar battery life but I guess that's to be expected with such a powerful machine in a thin chassis. I could maybe get a little above 3 hours without gaming but this being my first gaming laptop, I'm not really sure how well that compares with the competition. Could be good or not so I just carry the charger with me whenever I head out with it.

7. fredz

fredz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm trying to do an NVFLASH GPU BIOS update on my new GS60 (4K Skylake). When I issue the command fvbios, I get the error Unable to setup NVFLASH driver (0x0000000020).
    The Display LED is orange, so dGPU is active.
    What can I do?
    Version I have is 84.04.85.00.0F while the updated version is 84.04.85.00.33 so I suppose it should work...

EDIT: I solved this by first disabling the Nvidia driver in the Device Manager!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  8. OatmealMistress

OatmealMistress Newbie

Reputations:
    I just order the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro Skylake GTX970. I've never had a gaming laptop before...I have a macbook pro right now...and it isn't the best for gaming at all. I've been meaning to get a pc for a while now just for gaming, but never got around to it. I ended up settling on this laptop because it seemed to have good specs...but the batter life is kinda bad. Though that doesn't bother me much :). It's also just really nice to look at. The glowly keyboard is so no necessary...but at the same time IT IS!?

I'm not very good with computer stuff I think...so I'm hoping this thread will be helpful with answering any questions I have. Or just helping me get the best performance out of my new laptop.

I ordered mine from GenTechpc(which I hope was a good choice!?) and I customized it a bit. They had a deal for an updated thermal compound so I went for that. Then I also got the no logo customization which they also had a deal for. Said it should take 5-10 days for them to finish customizing it. Hope so. As long as it's here before christmas I will be happy :)

9. ADAS1223

ADAS1223 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Loved this laptop the 1 month I owned it. It was so hard for me to let it go. I miss that 4k display, but the body was too wide that it couldn't fit in my bag. Good thing the Phantom came out!

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You must have a small bag :) But yes the GS40 is a great option if you need something with a smaller footprint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.