***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArkRaven000

ArkRaven000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I bought myself a pre-owned gs60 064 (haswell 6gb variant), had some EC issues but that was easy enough to resolve. I love it, been slowly updating it to latest software and drivers. Then I realized that my top left corner was having backlight bleed. Not too noticeable when the screen has color. But it keeps catching my eye and now I'm beginning to think that it the entire left side has a very slight backlight bleed, but I didn't notice until I started looking for it. I sent a ticket to msi to see what they suggest, but I'd like the opinion of professional owners. What do you guys think?

(the bleed is most noticeable in the top left corner, hard to see unless it's black, the entire left side bleed is so light that you need to stare at the right side and then look at the left to notice it)

2. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'd venture to guess that 80-90 percent of us have backlight bleed. I seriously doubt they will rma it for you and if they do, it probably won't get fixed. The way these panels are fixated to the bezel pretty much causes the bleed.

3. scohen158

scohen158 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Learned the GS60 I bought came from Gentech originally. Can a receipt copy be pulled if I provide the Serial Number? I get it tomorrow so excited. Do you think ~$1400 shipped on a GS60-064 with a second 128gb M.2 Sata drive installed, usb blu ray drive, MSI mousepad, MSI Steel Series headphones and Mouse all packaging etc is a good deal?

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's a bit late to be checking the quality of the deal after you have paid ;)

The closest current comparison would be the GS60 606 so you can compare to that price new vs old.

5. zachbb

zachbb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The mic record volume is so bad that I'm going to have to buy an external webcam... crazy

6. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    Hmm, I have only used the mic with Cortona, but she could hear me just fine... did the learn my voice prompts after setting up the mic without issue.

I haven't tried it with a Skype call or anything yet though.

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you are upgrading to windows 10 right now I would suggest you only do so if you are happy playing with different driver versions and making edits to the system regarding updates etc. If not I would wait a few months before moving over.

Have you looked at webcam drivers and all the sound settings?

8. zachbb

zachbb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, I upgraded to the latest drivers after installing Windows 10. I didn't test whether it worked in Windows 8.1.
    Cortana does pick up the sound and understand it somewhat, but if you actually try to record you will hear that the volume is really low. Someone on Skype would really have a hard time for instance.

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Have you updated BIOS/EC to the latest version?
    Additionally, audio driver should be updated to Win10 compatible version as well. Also, the recording level should be increased to 100%, with 20 dB if applicable.

Clonezilla may be confusing for some users.
    Some instructions can help them. :)

10. Harrison123

Harrison123 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got my computer from xoticpc yesterday and already only fan 2 works (sometimes), fan 1 doesnt work at all! can someone tell me how to make them work 24/7? when i play games, the computer just restarts after a few minutes because of the heat and im only using 55% of the cpu max...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.