***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scohen158

scohen158 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice review mine is expected to arrive mid next week. Is the program you used for the estimated battery time free? I would be willing to mirror those tests and maybe a 720p video run down. I am hoping with the broadwell and 1080p screen it should beat the Haswell versions even if only slightly. I looked around for a haswell with 16 gb ram along with 970m and locating them at a better deal then $1590 out the door with best buy wasn't possible. The 1590 is even less when I factor in AMEX had a spend 250+ at best buy get $25 in statement credit + 1% from ebates +1% from Amex Cash Back and Best buy rewards bucks of around $30. If I value everything the same as cash it was basically $1500 not to mention I have around 8 month 0% interest left on the Amex. My only wish is it would arrive sooner.

I almost went with the Apache but I think the GS60 had a better screen.

2. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    batterymon is free. Yeah, if you could mirror that, it would be great.

3. brian94709

brian94709 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I was fortunate enough to get one of these laptops through work. It seems they removed all the software that the laptop originally came with, and put windows 7 on it. A couple questions:

- There is an nvidia gpu on here, as well as Intel HD graphics.. so I assume I'm supposed to be able to switch between the two to save battery. However I haven't found a way to determine which gpu is actually in use, or any way to manually switch. Is there some relevant driver or software I might be missing? The battery life is pretty bad- about 2.5 hours surfing the internet.

- The touchpad feels terrible. Might I be missing the right drivers? There's no momentum in the cursor, and it generally feels unresponsive. Also taps to click are often not registered.

- Any other important drivers or software I should install? Is there maybe a guide for people who installed windows 7?

Thanks!

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
  5. jayroc80

jayroc80 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just updated the BIOS on my GS60 2QE Ghost Pro-064US 970M and I noticed a bit of decrease in startup times. It used to be the Cinema 2 software logo would show almost immediately, but now takes about 30 secs before it appears. Also the wifi icon used to show a connection upon start up, but now it doesn't show until 30-40 secs after startup. The icon is x'ed out as if I don't have a connection, even though I am still able to surf the internet. I did not have these issues before flashing the new BIOS. I know these aren't significant issues, but it would be nice to get those faster boot times back. Any suggestions? What can I disable during startup and not lose functionality?

yjacket2001 likes this.
  6. yjacket2001

yjacket2001 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No, but thanks for the warning! You earned yourself a 'Like.'

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Why did you update the bios? The issue you were having may give a clue.

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Check the color on the power LED, if it's blue then it's Intel HD Graphics, but if it's orange then it's Nvidia GPU. The system shifts between the two depending on what types of application you are running and make adjustment automatically.

be77solo likes this.
  9. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    Well, updating to Windows 10 now, I'll report back with any issues but expecting (hoping) a smooth experience.

10. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    you able to do a fresh install or is that not even an option?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.