***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistah_Jayden

Mistah_Jayden Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This model started rolling out late June, early July.

I suspect the Skylake ver, will be around September or so. I hope at least.

2. mister.joe

mister.joe Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, new member here. I was doing a bit of reading regarding the GS60 Pro's 4k screen and I found out (a tad bit too late) mine has the yellow mustard problem that can't be fixed with calibration. (similar to the Y50, as far as I've read)

Not sure if I missed this info - but I'd like to know if there is any way I can salvage my unit by buying and replacing my current screen with a panel that does not have the yellow mustard issue? And if so, where would I be able to purchase this replacement? I also noticed Xotic and other resellers are selling the LG? 4k screen (glossy), really curious to know if this one doesn't have the yellow problem I'm currently having...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. zachbb

zachbb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What's up with the mini display port?
    Some reviews say that you can't use it for external monitors. Does it mean that you can buy an external harddrive and use Thunderbolt?

4. BWFC0907

BWFC0907 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys

What's the 970m like for gaming (not the 3k or 4k laptop version)? Looking at games such as Battlefield 4 & Company of Heroes 2.
    What level of settings can you use? Ultra or just high?

Also do you get the same frame rate if connected to an external monitor?

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Can you link those? First I have heard this.

6. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    There shouldn't be any issue with using the mini display port for a monitor. MSI even puts it in the model overview/info on that model to run multiple monitors at once, which would need that:

"Do everything, all at once with MSI´s Matrix Display technology, supporting multiple external displays so you can multi-task like a pro via HDMI and mini-Display Ports. Stream on Twitch or watch your favorite shows while playing your games, whatever it is you do, you´ll never miss another moment."

I'm curious to see what sites also said it won't work for monitors.

The 970m can run games pretty well on high, if not ultra high settings, depending on the game. This should give you an idea of how it handles different games by settings:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    mDP can be used for external monitors, but not external hard drive because it's not a Thunderbolt.

For the games you've asked, you can do Ultra on 2K, High on 4K.

8. scohen158

scohen158 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just ordered the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-606 from Bestbuy I recently moved so used a 10% off coupon so after that + taxes looking at just under $1600. I am looking forward to a gaming laptop haven't had one since a Gateway with a Duo core and 8800gtm.

I mainly bought it so I can use my PC or the Laptop when I have my kids over as my oldest is into PC gaming and kicks me off my pc. So he can use whichever I am not using.

Anything I should lookout for? Anyone on here have one with the Broadwell? I am not expecting much difference between it and the Haswell reviews I have read but figured with the 10% why not get the latest.

be77solo likes this.
  9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Congrats on your new purchase. The difference is there but it's not dramatic enough for you to feel any difference. If it's just one generation newer, usually the improvement won't be as much thus if you skip onto the next generation then you may expect more for the same price.

10. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I put a review of the 4k Broadwell model here: http://www.ultrabookreview.com/7942-msi-gs60-ghost-pro-4k-review/

In the benchmarks section, you can see all the testing I did at different hardware configs and a comparison with the Haswell version. My review of the Haswell version is also linked in that article. I'm curious if your battery life would be better with the FHD Broadwell. I was surprised to see it was worse than my Haswell model and I can only account for it with the screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.