***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esulin

Esulin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the same problem on Win 8.1. Had it right from the start.

I had a poke around the registry, and if there's anyone who DOES NOT have this recurring tutorial problem with the Sound Blaster Cinema 2 software, could you have a look in your registry (RUN -> regedit.exe) under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Creative Tech\Sound Blaster Cinema 2" and let us know if there are any keys in there that refer to the tutorial or some kind of 'init' etc?

Also, might be worth checking in "%appdata%\Local\Creative\Sound Blaster Cinema 2" for any config files (you can paste that directly into your File Explorer). I only have the "profile\custom.xml" with my custom profile settings.

2. Untamed

Untamed Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah, unfortunately that's all I could turn up too. Really looks like we're kinda hooped on this one. My partner also as a GS60 with the same thing, so it's probably an (annoying) software flaw.

I wonder if there's any other sound processing program we can use other than the Sound Blaster, as it's really essential to turn the terrible speakers to something usable. My old Lenovo Y500 had the Dolby processor, perhaps that may work, if they don't lock it all out.

Something to experiment with when I get home.

On a side note, I have a 170w adapter from my Y500 that the thieves left behind when we were robbed and I'm wondering if it will be okay to use with this GS60? The GS60 is 19.5v 7.7a and the Lenovo one is 20v and 8.5a. I'm already using the 120w 19.5v 6.15a Lenovo adapter as a spare just fine (obviously not heavy use), but I'm concerned about the slightly higher amperage on the larger one.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    They have moved to their new nahimic sound software partner, you could try that.

4. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's not the amperage you need to worry about, it's the voltage. The amperage is variable and is drawn by the laptop upon demand. As long as the voltages match, the battery will charge at its designed amperage. Most power supplies/batteries support tolerances of ±.5% so you should be ok to use it.

5. Untamed

Untamed Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've just tried the Nahimic and it won't seem to install due to whatever arbitrary restrictions are put on my 870m GS60 3k by MSI. (I know this is the 970m thread, don't tell!).

Good to know RE: voltage/amperage, thank you. I figured it would likely be okay, but also with a new expensive machine it's not something to risk without better knowledge.

6. zachbb

zachbb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I ran into some trouble upgrading the storage. I replaced the HDD with an SSD, but in doing so now have two issues:

1. The Burn Recovery program that comes with the ghost pro says that I do not have a recovery partition. Does this mean that the recovery partition was on the hdd and not the ssd? Anyway to get it back if this is the case?

2. I tore the threads in the two screw holes at the bottom top of the case (the short ones not the 4 long ones). Now the screws won't tighten at all - they just turn and fall out. While this is my fault, I'm surprised by how delicate the threads are. Any solutions for this? Should I try to get 2 long screws and see if there is an unbroken part of the thread they might latch on to?

7. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    1. You have to copy over the partition from the spinning hard drive. I used Macrium reflect for mine. They put it on that drive to save space on the M.2 drive.

2. You're probably out of luck on those threads. Try taking the cover off and seeing if the threads really are stripped. Sometimes they use threaded components on the casing that come loose if you torque them too much. You'll also be able to insert the screws deeper with the cover off, to try your theory. Worst case, you can leave them off or put some epoxy in the hole that can harden so you can screw into it.

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It will depend on what machines they have licensed the software, they would have no choice not to support the earlier ones.

9. BWFC0907

BWFC0907 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What was release date of this model, any news on an updated version?

10. Untamed

Untamed Notebook Geek

Reputations:

SO YOU KNOW, omg, I just noticed a very faint tick box marked 'Do Not Show Again' (or whatever) on the upper right corner of the last tutorial screen of Sound Blaster Cinema. Yeah, so I guess you can tick that. Never noticed it earlier, cuz who reads the tutorials, amirite?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    Galland likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.