***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galland

Galland Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I thought I'd refer you to my thread regarding Realtek audio issues with a GS60 -064 model... http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/volume-too-low-on-gs60-2qe-970m-6gb.777903/ So far I've found no solution to these issues but they began after updating to the latest BiOS and EC for this model. Did they update those to the new versions when you used the RMA process? My pet theory is that the new firmware somehow caused these audio device driver problems. I have all the same symptoms as yours, including the Realtek Audio Manager failing to launch properly. MSI tech support also suggested a re-install of windows / system restore to resolve the issue but I think that's a bit of an extreme measure. Let me know if you find some resolution.

2. IBMatrico

IBMatrico Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    According to RMA, they are not up to manage updates or other software changes, as long as it is not necessary for hardware repair or replacement or something. Thanks Xentar for the pic. I think, i still let RMA people to solve that issue. I'll let know about results.

3. Esulin

Esulin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My CPU fan just started rattling after only ~6 months of usage... I'm in Thailand at the moment, while I bought the laptop in Poland, so I'm not sure how much luck I'll have with getting my warranty honoured by the local MSI service centre.

I was looking around for replacement fans online but it seems like the GS60 ones are prohibitebly expensive. Up to almost $100 on Ebay and only marginally cheaper on AliExpress.

What pisses me off a bit is that fans for the GE60 (marked using the same model number, i.e. the same fan, but a slightly different casing) sell for $16!!! Is it me or are people jacking up the price because the GS60 is a 'premium' model??

Anyway, any suggestions on a cheap replacement? I'm quite handy with a soldering iron, and have access to 3D printing, laser cutting and metal working facilities. Anyone done a DIY fan fix yet, such as finding a compatible fan and replacing it in the existing chassis or making a new chassis?

Otherwise, any suggestions for a cheaper source of replacement fans?

Any advice highly appreciated.

4. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not on this machine, but I've done it. The rattling is probably a blade hitting either part of the laptop, a wire or part of the fan housing. The first two can be fixed just by opening ind intestigating. The 3rd might require a full replacement or some help from your 3d printer. I take it you haven't opened up to look yet? If you're handy with all that stuff, a DIY repair is certainly possible, but keep in mind the GS60 is pretty backwards when it comes to dis-assembly and will require taking the whole motherboard out to get the fan access you probably need. In your shoes, I'd exhaust all warranty opportunities first. Also, don't be afraid to ask MSI for a quote on the fan. They might have something cheaper. I seriously doubt it costs them that much money.

5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    MSI probably has a service center in Thailand, but double check with them to find out whether they provide warranty service for notebook products or not.
    http://th.msi.com/about/contact-us

There's one-year global warranty for all NB products unless otherwise stated.

As for the issue goes, the CPU fan's propeller could have been hitting its housing thus causing the grinding noise. Check and make sure it's not too tight, however if it's severe then the fan is bad which needs to be replaced completely.

6. Untamed

Untamed Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if this is related to my Windows 7 install or not, but the Sound Blaster 2 software seems to provide a tutorial EVERY time the computer is on. Now needing to change modes often, this is a little annoying. Anyone know how to prevent it? My Google-fu proved fruitless.

On another note, hotkeys for it or anything? How frustrating.

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Have you looked into SBC2 software's menu settings to find if there's any option you can click on to disable the tutorial?

8. Esulin

Esulin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Xentar712, Kevin. I've dropped the Thai MSI guys an e-mail and we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, has anyone seen any docs with the exact dimensions of the fan chassis, and more importantly, the interior fan element? I don't want to destroy my warranty stickers before I get an answer from MSI, but I'm thinking maybe I could find a compatible fan without the chassis so I could order it just in case I need to do a DIY repair.

I'm thinking I could CNC route a chassis from two pieces of aluminium for the top and bottom. Or potentially cut flat top and bottom plates from a thinner material and 3D print the spacers and attachment points.

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    They don't enforce warranty sticker, and you can just find the part number printed on the sticker located on the housing itself.

10. Untamed

Untamed Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah, unfortunately there's only one to show the tutorial haha.

I'm hoping that perhaps someone has found a registry setting or something. I guess I'll keep poking around myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.