The most pointless eGPU ever created

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Danishblunt, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, but then you have the worse performance compared to a similar windows windows machine and the far, far, more expensive Apple tax, no upgradability, less I/O, and just honestly having to deal with MacOS and it's lack of software compared to Windows.
    Although, the 2012 Unibody MacBooks are some of my favorite machines if I'm honest

2. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    At the time of purchse of my mid 2014, comparable laptops where either around the same price or more expensive. I could get cheaper but they wouldn't be as premium. It might be different now but back then, the top end Window laptops were hovering around £1,500-£2,000+. After discount, I believe I purchased mine for around £1400. Performance wise it wasn't any worse than the competitor as pretty much everyone is using the same chip, but I did have a superior battery size, screen, SSD compared to the Window laptops available at the time.

3. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A shame they have fallen so far from that point

Aroc likes this.
  4. Aroc

Aroc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Prior to trying the Air in 2013, I had a Macbook 13 (2008) a/k/a "Blackbook" (cool for the time but overpriced at $1500 for what it was) and I was looking for a Windows ultrabook to run Windows or Linux. I bought a couple Asus Zenbook ultrabooks ($500) and did not care for the hardware: keyboards, touchpad were inferior and the hinges would often no stay up properly from the weight of the metal display chassis it seemed. I tried sending them back, but the refurbs were just as bad. I tried a Dell XPS, Samsung ultrabook from a colleague, and a Sony Vaio (all $800-$1100). Performance was OK but various things about each chassis, wifi, touchpad, or keyboard bothered me to the point I was 100% of the time using an external keyboard and mouse if I bothered to use it at all. The next bump up was $1500-$1700 to get something premium but I didn't want to spend that much especially not on something with planned obsolesce or to get a high-end Thinkpad.

I re-evaluated the Air while I was at Microcenter one day. I was basically trying to find the Windows/Linux "clone" of a Air or another premium computer to save money or get better performance and I wasn't finding it. I ultimately chose the Air 11 over the Macbook Pros. I didn't buy the absolute base model (i5/2GB RAM/64GB SSD/11 inch) but the one up for $50 more (i5/4GB/128GB) which was "enough" and avoided overspending to get i7 or 8GB+ or 256GB+ or a larger chassis. That $ would be better served in my desktop (processing power, I/O, expansion, etc) . For what I need out of a computer I was right.

When choosing a Mac laptop it is too easy to overspend and end up with something that is a good cost/usefulness benefit. At that is individual to each person. So I don't disagree with that premise. But I don't agree that all Apple products are overpriced relative to their completion -- at least back in 2013 -- if you are were smart buyer. I do agree that they don't build them like that anymore (keyboards, mag safe, etc). I still use my MacBook Air 11 (2012) almost every day.

Grant B Gibson likes this.
  5. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Very much my experience back in 2014. Everything that could even come close to the MacBook was not cheaper. I had an excel sheet with all the different options with pros and cons. A lot of them immediately failed to have anything near the battery life offered by the MacBook (99.5Wh on the 15”). I even compared it to Windows laptops £500 more and they still came up short one way or another.

It is true that you may get more specs for your money, but this is a laptop so the screen, battery life, trackpad, keyboard, sound, size and weight, materials etc all mattered and it was well ahead of Windows at the time. Even as a .Net developer, I ended up with a MacBook (and used parallels for Windows) due to this.

I think after 2015 Window really catched up to Apple, and when Apple failed in 2016 to create a proper upgraded (imo), Apple were no longer worth the money. Windows laptops are now far ahead.

Aroc, Starlight5 and Grant B Gibson like this.