The most pointless eGPU ever created

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Danishblunt, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is it? I would be willing to believe your claim if you provided some more info, as right now it sounds absurd

And yes, you are right on apples poor decisions

2. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Best would be to google it as it’s an engineering principle - don’t really know if there is a dedicated article comparing them.

Here is one excerpt of it but there are probably many:

You avoid a whole manufacturing step a long with connectors which can fail, making it more reliable. This is in addition to cost and size benefits. I believe for example overall we have had less RAM failures for those which were soldered vs those which weren’t, but as said before I’d still prefer non-soldered not so much for upgradability reasons (which is one of it’s strength and how people have managed to bring life to 2008 MacBooks to be usable today) but that should there be a component failure, even if it’s more likely with socketed models, at least I can just replace that part and not half the laptop...

This forum has quite a huge anti-BGA base (aka those against soldered) and even they can’t argue reliability as being an issue, only repairability and upgradability.

Aroc and Grant B Gibson like this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That cost benefit is primarily for the company making the product. Size is a benefit to aesthetics but a detriment to performance, as we have seen with the Core i9 debacle, which has impacted pretty much all thin-and-lights that used it. If those soldered CPUs don't fail, they are still not performing to their advertised potential.

Grant B Gibson likes this.
  4. iMbaQ

Reputations:
    I am sure revenue was the main reason to do so - making it cheaper to produce and more attractive to market (thinner) will definitely have been what drove them to do it. Reliability however will also make cost lower (because less systems end up failing QC in the factory and even less due to RMA).

As for the Core i9 issue, I believe this was addressed by the patch some what - however we should note that the cooling in not just the MacBook Pro (but also say, the XPS 15) are built around handling a CPU load of ~45W. These new CPU's however use a hell of a lot of power and I don't believe any manufacturer actually addressed this with a new design/cooling system.

This doesn't excuse them as clearly they would have all had a chance to test the chips before selling them - they just decided to sell them anyway (not limited to Apple however).

Ignoring this years chips which clearly run far hotter than the norm, unlike in your desktop setups (where we can have it on full turbo boost 24/7), all thin premium laptops (heck even a lot of gaming laptops) only aim to run it at base clock speed indefinitely and not their boosted clock speed - by design.

5. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    Except by soldering everything, they have to create a new motherboard design for every configuration, and if something were to fail it would not be easily replacable, eventually ending up in more cost due to repairs when compenents eventually fail, and anyways soldering everything is just worse for consumers IMO

You are correct in that it was somewhat mildy addressed in a patch, but it still runs around 95C-100C at around base speeds, and only a few gaming laptops have actually addressed the 8950HK for what it truly is (a worse binned 8700)

6. iMbaQ

Reputations:
    I’m sure have costed it so that overall it costs them less factoring it all (otherwise they would have reverted it now rather than start soldering more now, such as the SSD - may God have mercy). I am certain that issues within warranty were caused by the more complicated engineering process.

Now, with the majority failing outside of warranty and they end up charging ~£800 for the repair, it’s no cost to them - and suddenly most end up buying a new laptop instead of fixing it due to absurd cost, further lining their pockets.

This is why I hate soldered laptops, I can already see a £800 bill before the 5 year mark where as before I may expect one thing to go bad with it being easily replaceable.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Aroc likes this.
  7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The update Apple released only addressed the issue within MacOS. There was no change in CPU behavior when running Windows via Boot Camp.

8. iMbaQ

Reputations:
    Yep, to the dismay of many users. With kernel panic issues and speaker crackling, not sure 2018 is worth investing in. The T2 chip issues haven’t been resolved it seems (same for iMac).

9. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    No Mac is ever worth investing in unless you require a MacOS enviroment, and still its a terrible experience.

10. iMbaQ

Reputations:
    My mid 2014 15” (non-dGPU version) was really nice.

Aroc likes this.