The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    But, what is really SAD is that the Time Spy score gave minimal credit for the 122.5% superior CPU performance. It literally raped the i5-8600K and it had a very modest effect on the "overall" score. Seems we need to stop calling it an "overall" score since that doesn't appear to be accurate with Time Spy, Port Royal or Fire Strike. It sort of begs the question of why they even bother to measure the CPU performance on some of these tests. Makes sense that they don't bother to measure it on some of them (Port Royal, for example).

2. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To be fair I was planning on dropping in a 9900k when I get an RTX 2080 with the T shaped heatsink and put in the tm1 cpu heatsink because as of now a 9900k will throttle badly no matter how much it's undervolted. The 8600k stays in the high 80's atm when gaming and benchmarking. The CPU heatsink is trash.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    From the looks of the algorithm, it's not going to do a lot for that benchmark. But, it certainly will for those that give proper credit for having a healthier and more potent CPU.

Papusan, Prema and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  4. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    TS is a pure GPU bench unless the CPU bottlenecks the GPU.
    We can literally disable HT and half on the cores and get almost identical overall score.
    FS is an actual (flaky) combined score bench.

What I really like from the new ones is Night Raid...it's the most rewarding when Tuning core, vRAM and CPU.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Papusan, Mr. Fox and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  5. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox @Prema whats the max safe wattage for a clevo GTX 1080? 300W?

6. Prema

Reputations:
    I have seen so many Clevo 1080 with burned MOSFETs due to user going overboard that I would say maybe more in the 220-250W region.

I think @Johnksss has pulled some 350W+, but that was under full blown AC. ;)

7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Isn't MSI the OEM for the Clevo cards? aka the cards are made in MSI's factories per Clevo's design requirements?
    If the mosfets are identical on the MSI 1080 and Clevo 1080, that would basically prove that.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  8. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    That makes sense as the new msi rtx 2080 and old msi gtx 1080 (big version) mxm have the die in the exact same place as the clevo rtx 2080 and gtx 1080. This means with enough modding/shimming for the vrms you could possibly get an rtx 2080 from an msi laptop working in a clevo counterpart.

Plus the mxm RTX 2080 in the msi gt63 doesn't have the power cable connected and works without it!

This could be a good plug and play experiment for the O.G p870dm-g breathing new life into it AGAIN for those uncomfortable with @Mr. Fox mod for the gtx 1080 which works with the CLEVO rtx 2080 too thanks to @dsanke new RTX bios!

I'm thinking of trying to put one in a gt83 along with a 4k screen mod, maybe 2-3 months down the line...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  9. Prema

Reputations:
    - MXM factory is operated by MSI.
    - Power Design (MOSFET) is different.
    - Power cable present PIN check is on the mobo (EC), not the GPU side
    - Only Clevo cards need Khenglish's MXM port changes
    - RTX BIOS support was officially added by Clevo for TM models, (those are just cross-flashes)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  10. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the old one! Any benefit upgrading? DO i need a programmer?

So what is the result of your testing?