The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Mauserk98

Mauserk98 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox some news around saida the Z370 chipset will support probably the newt gen intel cpus *9th gen* then maybe the phoenix needs a new brain LOL

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. MrClippy

MrClippy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Mr. Fox, Papusan and Mauserk98 like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    BGA clocks for people who is interested in how crippled it is (i7-8750H@3.9GHz all 6 cores).

From Notebookcheck.net (i7-8750H)

[​IMG]

3.9GHz on all 6 cores (equal i7-8750H burst clocks - first round in Cinebench R15).
    [​IMG]

I cripple the clocks further.... 38x all 6 cores and still under 45w TDP. No reason for the i7-8750H BGA have to score lackluster within it's TDP in Cinebench R15 benchmarks. I could probably shave of +5w Cpu Package power with proper voltage tveaking for the fixed clocks. But why the need for cripple the clocks and scores below it's TDP ?:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  4. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @dsanke my laptop is bricked fully with the unsuccessful bios flash. The laptop is dead. I have ordered a skypro spi flasher with the 1.8v adapter which cost me a total of £50 with the pamona clip!

If it's not too much to ask please can you link me your bios mod, I have been trying this for weeks and have managed to screw it up completely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: just learned my gtx 1070 mxm is broken too, what a wonderful day lol.

Vistar Shook, jaybee83 and TheDantee like this.
  5. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What a shame, I hope you can fix it easily enough

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The system bios chip is 3.3v, not 1.8v. Don't use the adapter on that.
    The Vbios chip is 1.8v.

Unless you already have a non chinese (decent) clip, you also need these for your Skypro for much easier flashing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV70C78/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WWHQ25ENKVJ1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHH65T4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3NA65ZFC06KVD

7. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you for clarifying that, I will not use the 1.8v adapter.

I already have the clip mentioned in the second link, I will purchase the cables in the first link though. Thanks for the info.

KY_BULLET and Arrrrbol like this.
  8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The cables are just for hooking up the Pomona clip (you see the male pins on the Pomona clip) into the holes on either the Skypro or the 1.8v adapter. Just remember to mount them counter-clickwise with pin 1 starting at top left on the skypro (or 1.8v adapter).

I actually used an SOIC8 adapter board (NOT to be confused with the 1.8v adapter!!) because it's annoying to have to make sure each wire is plugged in in order each time you switch from NOT using the 1.8v adapter to using it. So I just plugged the Pomona clip to the SOIC8 adapter board, using "female to female" cables from the kit. That way if I wanted to use the 1.8v adapter, It's simple easy plug and play since the SOIC8 adapter board has its pins pre-aligned.

The problem is, some "Prebuilt" clips have the soic8 adapter board preassembled (but not soldered, thank god) to the clip cable assembly directly, so its not always easy to find an soic8 adapter board by itself (the Skypro "comes" with the board---but---requires you to actually manually solder it) but as long as its on a socket and can be simply removed, you can use that.

you don't NEED the SOIC8 board--it's just for easy convenience.

9. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox @Papusan What thermal application methods are you using for your 870DM's? I'm sure between the two of you you have reapplied TIMs numerous times over the years. What method have you found works best?

I've used pea, X and manual spread so far.

I have a Silver Shining IHS coming in today (with the extra 1mm for a better pairing) to replace the standard intel IHS I delidded last week as a spread test (with the tons of MX-4 I have from yesteryear) showed a tighter fit wouldn't hurt.

As always I'm trying to find the optimal performance:quiet ratio. :)

KY_BULLET likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I use the spread method now. Seems to get the most even application for me with less waste.