The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Kana Chan

Kana Chan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You got a link to that foil tape?

2. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Like said above, it will drain even when you're well below the max the power adapter can supply.

Say you want to "disable" it to save your battery form being discharged multiple times a night of playing games then you are stuck at performance of a machine much smaller and lighter.

Say your battery fails after a year or two of this use, or that it just doesn't last as long anymore, well again you are stuck at that lower performance.

It sucks, and literally nothing good comes from it. No "bonus" power above what your adapter can supply, just temporary near full performance, then every other possible combination means less performance.

Papusan and ole!!! like this.
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The EC Can be hacked in windows to trick it into thinking the battery is still connected. This works even on the old MSI GT60. It's easy and anyone can do it because MSI recycles old code.
    When battery is unplugged:

Set EC RAM Register 31 to 09--this will turn on the battery charge circuit/status circuit (it's 00 if its unplugged).
    Set EC RAM register 42 to 64 (64=100 in hexadecimal. this sets the battery charge level to 100%).
    Set EC RAM register E3 to the desired power ID for the AC draw limit you want (For GTX 1080, =330W, that's a value of 91 on both GT73VR and GT75VR).

I don't know about E3 changing on the old MSI GT60 or GT70, but the first 2 register changes still work (both must be done together).

KY_BULLET and Papusan like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Won’t help. MSI had to put in second strongest BGA due limitations and Who will throttle equal. Maybe even harder. NOS!! Google it or search on posts from @Papusan
    MSI learned Azor and Alienware how to use battery boost. Or they cooperate on this. I don’t know.

5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    we'll need gt80s and 83vr owners to talk about this. with SLI 1080s, makes little sense they'd cap it at 180w. especially MSI purposely offers 2x PSU for their laptop to go with 83vr. i do think they have those limitation remove for the most part. but that goes back to what i said, MSI make you pay for the most expensive laptop if you want no limitation, but still gets a BGA CPU.

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    BGA hardware doesn’t make a normal notebook setup. It’s crippled.

7. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just bought a eurocom tornado f5 laptop for £300 fully working expect for SD card. Is there anyway I could get a 8700k working in it. If I isolate the pins to the side and short the two pins at the top will it start? Or does it need a firmware modification. I'm asking because the 7700k and the 8700k are literally the same price!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    ole!!! and Grant B Gibson like this.
  8. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Give or take a few pounds. I would personally go for the 6700k, much cheaper a most can hit atleast 4.5GHZ, I wouldn't recommend an 7700k unless you have a 1080, and probably not even then. Congrats on getting it so cheap. EDIT: I wouldn't go for an 8700k either, not native in that machine, runs a tad hot for my liking. I don't even know if it has Kaby Lake support, one would think being Z170.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Needs firmware (microcode at least) too

Just saw this googling just now, 4 core 4 thread i3 on that model
    https://valid.x86.fr/nzlb0p
    But who knows if it was stable or bug free I can't find any other deets anywhere other than the Cpuz ss

6 core + HT seems more troublesome, all the 4 cores and 6 core 6 thread seem to work in pretty much all Clevo 1151 LGAs from a (non Prema) hacked/ported BIOS

Vistar Shook and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  10. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I remember hearing this, as well as the 8400 was confirmed working, but honestly a 6/7700k would just be less hassle free IMO