The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MrClippy

MrClippy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Holy, +150 watts. Are you seeing any battery drain when using a single 330 watt brick?

Papusan likes this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Clevo laptops DO NOT use MSI Battery Boost (NOS!).
    That is MSI metasized cancer that even Alienware and some Asus decide to use now.

ole!!!, bennyg, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    See below. And I use 2x330w bricks. Clevo LGA books with @Prema firmware ain’t same as Alienware’s BGA tragedy. Or MSI for that matter +++ rests of the OEM BGA filth!! And not forget Azor’s crippled last gen Alienware 18. This even WITH sick-ed socket hardware

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Not only have MSI this type metasized cancer. Look at my older post regarding MSI bloatware. I puke in same way for last trash from Redmond HQ. If people don’t know what Redmond HQ standing for... See latest Win 10 Cancer!!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  5. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That battery boost fiasco where I couldn't get MSI engineers to admit the issue is what cost MSI all of my business, along with countless friends/relatives and customers asking for purchase advice. I was actually looking at MSI again a few months ago but the lack of socketed CPU and the risk of stupid "features" that I didn't want pushed me back to clevo again.

6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    why is the battery thing bad? say we use too much power and it drains battery. battery need some usage from time to time or cell dies so isnt that a good thing from that perspective. unless its like draw 200w and it pulls from battery then thats a joke.

MrClippy likes this.
  7. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Sure, but when your artificially limited to that level of power draw its a limitation put in place, not a limitation of hardware. You shouldnt be pulling from the battery when you replace the AC adapter with that of a higher capacity AC adapter.

Papusan and ole!!! like this.
  8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    THIS EXACTLY *IS* a joke.
    Exactly as you said.

MSI GT73VR/GT75VR Titan (i do not know about the GT75 6 core laptops, I don't have one, I have no access to one, I have no way to test anything unless someone loans me one to debug):

GTX 1070: Begins drawing from the battery at 160W of total system power, up to about 10%/hour at close to 230W.. Does not matter if 230W or 330W PSU is used. EC will forcibly override and throttle the CPU TDP to 45W, 25W or 800 mhz /25W if 230W system power draw is exceeded.

GTX 1080: begins lightly drawing from the battery at 180W of total system power (very low, often not enough to cause real drain, just battery voltage drops then recharges if total draw is this low), and only starts truly draining the battery at around 230W, going up to about 10%/hour'ish at about 330W. It is unknown whether the EC will throttle the CPU if 330W of total system power is exceeded.

GTX 1070 system power cap can be bypassed to 330W by hacking the EC RAM.

If the battery is disconnected, the EC will forcibly throttle the CPU at 160W or 180W, depending on video card installed. This barrier can be disabled (allowing up to 330W) by hacking the Embedded Contoroller RAM Registers.

@Porter

Papusan and ole!!! like this.
  9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    that sh!t is total cancer. i was thinking along the lines of, once you pull over 330w over the PSU limit or something but looks like thats not the case at all.

i guess msi want u to pay BIG BUCKS for GT83VR with 2x GPU if you want real performance. since the machine comes with 2x PSU and converter, it'll make no sense for them to throttle at 180w.

10. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    The reason it throttles at 160W or 180W is because of NOS.
    That is the "NOS" cutoff point, where the system begins hitting the battery (GTX 1070 or GTX 1080).
    Unplugging the battery, *OR* having the battery level below 30% disables NOS (This flag is at EC RAM register C6; values of 40/41 mean NOS is disabled, values of C0/C1 mean NOS is enabled (0 or 1 seems to mean idle status or load status). If NOS is disabled, the EC will throttle the CPU at the "point" where NOS would normally start borrowing power from the battery (160W or 180W).