The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But the cost of that chip is too high and HK chip sounds fair. Mr. Fox needs a CPU without any SW locks or artificial throttling. He runs any component at its max spec or even out of spec values.
    Then again buying a 20000$ laptop with BGA is stupidity when you can build a Threadripper or any HEDT platform for half that amount and keep upgrading until the mobo is dead.

Mr. Fox and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  2. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just in case anyone was wondering:
    [​IMG]

3. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I can't see the picture.

4. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Remember my criteria though? This laptop is slim and portable it can handle rendering workloads that I put on it and because it doesn't throttle this is used for my advantage. The uni course I do requires a powerful laptop and this is just that.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
  6. Vasudev

Reputations:
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The Alienware 18 will not power limit or current limit throttle the CPU unless (a) you are using the wrong settings, or (b) your total system power draw (GPUs under heavy load with CPU overclocked) is approaching the Mickey Mouse 330W system power limit the engineering goons at Dellienware castrated it with.

Holding stock turbo clocks is not an indicator of a nicely binned CPU. Overclocking to a frequency higher than average max overclock and using less voltage while overclocking is how we measure bin quality.

CPUs that are not fully unlocked with unlimited TDP are not enthusiast products. They are performance-limited processors for consumers that use computers for basic computing tasks.

All BGA CPUs are inferior products. Even the so-called unlocked BGA crap CPUs are inferior.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    ole!!!, Vistar Shook, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    this is the common misconception people have about BGA/LGA. the CPU you compared are of the same generation, at same frequency they'll perform similarly when no throttle occurs. what we needed to check isnt how it perform, is how high it can go and how hot it'll run. not to further mention the fact that intel charges them a premium over desktop counter part, theres no reason for it.

what the heck are we going backwards? when is 4ghz an acceptable high end overclock? if you have been hearing from people around you that 4ghz is extreme, that further proves what mr.fox was trying to say. the standards have been lowered so much its becoming of the point most people aren't aware what good OC is.

back with m18xr1/r2 which was 5-6 years ago, we were already able to do 4.4+ ghz overclock, stable, no throttle.. considering the CPUs of newer gen 6/7/8 has better overclocking than older CPUs, we should be able to go past that mark no problem. currently got a mild OC at 4.7ghz in my clevo, a socket CPU is capable of that.

DreDre, Vasudev, Porter and 1 other person like this.
  9. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    I know 4ghz isn't the best OC but it is the MAX a 6920hq can do since it is LOCKED by the manufacturer. I never said that 4ghz was 'extreme' in fact my 3570k used to go to 5.2ghz overclocked stable on a crappy ASUS p8z77-v pro motherboard. You may call that extreme since only a FEW people could reach that frequency and keep the processor cool, I made a custom water cooler with two 240mm radiators for it and it literally blew the 3770k away in games and rendering.
    I consider at least 1.5ghz over the stock an extreme oc because AS YOU KNOW some processors made by let's say AMD (ryzen cpus) have low clock speeds compared to Intel's high clocked cpus (kaby lake and coffee lake). Anyway the point is a higher overclocked frequency doesn't mean the processor is better either unless they have the same architecture and are part of the same generation...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  10. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    from the way you post about 6920hq, sounded to me that you have accepted it, which imho thats how i understood it when i read it. compromises will yield lower standards overtime, eventually mediocre will become the new norm of higher standard than previous gen. intel/oem/odm been doing this for awhile now with only sheeps to follow, since majority either dont care or dont know about it, they can continue this as long as theres more profit.