The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Jon Webb

Jon Webb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I do appreciate the mention, but trust me, a legend I am not. Seeing my name mentioned next to @Mr. Fox @Prema @Khenglish @tanzmeister @Ted@HIDevolution @Donald@HIDevolution made me chuckle. I'm more of a moral support type of guy. It was only a year and a half ago I was considering suicide because I thought I bricked my machine. Prema talked me off the cliff, he said "shut it off, unplug it, plug it back in and you'll be fine" he was right, no need to jump. I have no clue how these guys do what they do. But again thanks for the mention and it's definitely an awesome mod.

2. Frank_84

Frank_84 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As far as I'm concerned, useless mod...
    here are the results of my Clevo p775dm3-g:

Without Overclock gpu:
    Ambient temperature 21.8 ° C
    80% fan speed

[​IMG]

With Overclock:
    Ambient temperature 21.8 ° C
    80% fan speed
    +130 mhz core
    +100 mhz memory

[​IMG]

3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why is that? Similar results in Heaven as the mod, am I missing something?

4. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    These are preliminary results from a heavily modded P870DM. Those that are complaining about the early results or comparing them to BGA, need to either do it themselves or truly show what their machines are capable of. @Mr. Fox, I can't wait to see what this beast does when you've finished your mods.

AHMED KARAM, Scerate, Mr. Fox and 3 others like this.
  5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Well duh, you already have a 1080 in your machine.

Interesting note however, you actually have worse minimums.

triturbo, Scerate, Jon Webb and 3 others like this.
  6. Frank_84

Frank_84 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    considers that my pc has not been modified, it is original and has made those temperatures of max 79 ° C

7. Rage Set

Reputations:
    First, I owned that same machine you are touting. It had some of the worse temps of any DTR I've ever owned when both the CPU/GPU are OC'ed. What were you running your CPU at during those benchmarks? Were they 4.7Ghz?

Scerate, Mr. Fox, Jon Webb and 3 others like this.
  8. Jon Webb

Jon Webb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Frank_84
    This entire project has evolved and I think you're missing the point. It originally started as an idea, my memory is shot but I believe the original plan was to see if an MSI 1080 would work in the original P870DM because many people felt like they got screwed when this machine was unable to use the new GPUs. The best GPU for the DM unit at the time was an MSI 1070 conversion. At first, I was thinking maybe get MSI 1080s with SLI, I'm sure Mr Fox would have used them if they were available but unfortunately they cost a ton of money. A full sized Clevo 1080 was generously donated to the cause, so plans changed and that was used for the mod. There are many ideas for this machine. Possibly trying to get an 8700K to work in it, but you need an 8700K to try it out, they're not free. The whole purpose of this mod was to see if it was do-able and the boys came through in fine fashion. As far as the bench-marks, there will be many more with adjustments etc. There is also a ton of work into this modded machine. These guys aren't sitting around all day doing nothing, this was done on spare time. It's not a useless mod. Especially if you can't afford a new machine.

9. Rage Set

Reputations:
    It's a reply from a clear novice. He and others like him have no clue the amount of time, effort, expertise and money that goes into projects like these. That's why he and others missed the point. They will continue to argue their opinion, even though those opinions are derived from a lack of experience. This is an amazing project and I hope Mr. Fox isn't discouraged due to a few uninformed folk.

10. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Residing east of the Mississippi River in the US, I've never crossed paths with @Mr. Fox. However, I feel pretty safe to say it would take a whole lot to discourage or change this man's mind.

11. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Here is the AC unit I have been using for heavy duty cooling on overclocked laptops since 2012.

I do not own ROTR or Wildlands. When their prices drop from $59 to around $15-20 I will most likely buy them only for their built-in benchmarks. (I'm not particularly fond of the Tomb Raider franchise.)

But, if the FFXV benchmark tool is free like the previous benchmarks were, I will do that later this week. I am out on business meetings part of the week and will take time to do it for you once I have a little more free time.

If someone knows where I can download the chapters of Witcher 3 so I do not have to play it long enough to reach the chapter that @Danishblunt wants to see an example of, let me know and I will do that later on when I have more time as well.