The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Once you buy a precision, preferably a 7710 or 7720 you will love it. I had the same issue with it costing a lot, it cost me around 1.5k and I worked my a** off to get it last year. It is WELL worth the money though. The build quality, the sound quality, the screen, literally everything is perfect. It's thin but HEAVY due to the 3 heatpipes it has to cool the gpu and cpu down.
    The equivalent is a Lenovo p71 or hp zbook but unfortunately they both whitelist gpus in the bios so that is a no go for me.

Your pretty much the same age as me so you would understand how people would be like if you brought in a 'state of the art' gaming laptop with full rgb into a lecture hall.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox you even mention the Clevo throttles without a bios mod. The precision does not at ALL. There will soon be a time where at least the gpu or cpu in a laptop will become bga I hope it's neither but if I were to choose it would be the latter. I'm sure by then you would have moved to pc too. I just hope it never comes to it though...

Arrrrbol likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    There is actually hardly any difference in the size and weight between the Alienware 18, M18x or the 17-inch Clevo monsterbooks I have had the pleasure of owning. I'd go as far as to say the difference in size and weight is totally irrelevant.

Here is a comparison... From top to bottom, and in the order of greatest to least greatest beasts that I have ever owned... P870XX is the clear winner, followed closely by the P570WM. (What the P570WM lacked in aesthetics, it more than made up for in the beautifulness of brute force.)

[​IMG]

Kade Storm, ssj92, triturbo and 7 others like this.
  4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i got a couple of 20" laptop that can't be made to stack up to one another as it'll damage the ones below it. you got good collection sir, those are vintage stuff, from just 5 yrs ago LOL

Mr. Fox, triturbo, jaybee83 and 2 others like this.
  5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    do you actually still own all of them as of today? :)
    Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

ole!!! and Arrrrbol like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Nope. After seeing the Viking perma-broken with a power-handling limit less than it needed for the CPU and 780M SLI to sustain a nice overclock, and then seeing their follow-up was worthless BGA garbage, I wrote them off as trash-peddlers and got rid of everything with the Alienware name. The 18, M18xR2, M18xR1 and my closet full of spare parts. No regrets... Never looked back after jumping to Clevo and hooking up with Brother @Prema. I still have a black Alienware baseball cap as a souvenier and melancholy reminder of the once great company they used to be. The brand is totally dead to me now.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  7. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Viking and Ranger truly were there last decent Alienware notebooks in my opinion, with how easy the Ranger is to upgrade, and the way they physically look, is truly stunning. TBH BGA isn't that a big a deal for me, I just don't like that its non-upgradeable, I like to be able to upgrade. And they look truly horrid

Vasudev, Mr. Fox and Arrrrbol like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    THIS.... http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/new-to-17-r1.820045/#post-10753289

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You must mean the last decent Alienware notebooks, as anything in Clevo P7 or P8 product lines totally destroys anything they have ever released in a notebook.

BGA is a big deal to me for a few reasons. Being locked out of upgrades is only a small part of why BGA sucks. Item #3 in the list is the underlying reason and the inability to upgrade is merely a consequence of of #3.
    1. It is an inescapable matter of fact that BGA CPUs are inferior, poorly binned and less powerful (they put them in turdbooks because people that buy them have lower standards)
    2. Guarantees you have disposable junkbooks, cannot be properly serviced - super crazy stupid expensive motherboard includes an inferior CPU (and, where applicable, a GPU)
    3. Selfish, despicable, greedy and dishonest shysters that do not care about the products they build and sell, or the silly people that buy them, are the drivers behind it

Kade Storm, ole!!!, KY_BULLET and 4 others like this.
  10. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox not all bga processors are BADLY binned my 6920hq reaches its max overclock of 4ghz on an undervolt which doesn't power limit throttle, current limit throttle or thermal throttle on sustained loads for hours... it performs better than the alienware 18 in this regard too because it doesn't throttle the frequency down after 20 seconds or well ever.

Edit: I partially agree on point 2 though because these machines are CRAZY expensive but the performance you receive is truly outstanding.

Arrrrbol and Vasudev like this.