The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MrClippy

MrClippy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There are some people out there on eBay that will delid for you for a rather reasonable price. They even offer the choice of liquid metal to be used, and will even use your custom IHS if you have one.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  2. MrClippy

MrClippy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wait until September! Intel will release an 8-core that will hopefully still be compatible with Z370 chipset (and by extension, compatible with your DM-G).

jaybee83 likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If they are compatible I will buy one for my desktop and use my excellent 8700K sample from the desktop in the P870DM-G. I am not planning to spend any more money on laptops at this time. The P870DM-G upgrades demonstrated in this thread will most likely be my last hurrah in laptop-land. I've pretty much lost interest in laptops because all of them are either a hopeless cause (BGA filth) or they require too many firmware and hardware mods to make them into something awesome. Literally every laptop made today is either engineered poorly, firmware crippled, broken and/or otherwise screwed up off the shelf. Some are all of those things. I am tired of rewarding OEM/ODM incompetence by funding more of the same bull crap.

Kade Storm, Papusan, jaybee83 and 9 others like this.
  4. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox Sadly this is true, due to the trend of slimmer laptops everything has become bga. Everything was good until nvidia threw out the mxm spec and started designing different shaped cards. Now companies are axing off mxm slots in their laptops or making their own style of cards.

The two alienware 18's I bought will be one of the LAST laptops I will probably use and mod. Unless I buy a clevo p870dm-g.

Even the new MSI whitebook is a decent upgradable machine but it costs a lot and sadly there aren't many laptops around like that. Clevo laptops have become significantly thicker making them look more like briefcases than laptops.

The idea was to make a laptop with decent thickness around 35-45mm which is fully upgradable and doesn't overheat. That would be a laptop I would buy!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    ole!!!, Arrrrbol and Vasudev like this.
  5. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you sure Clevos are getting thicker?

[​IMG]

Compare the P870 to the old "breifcase"

[​IMG]

The P870 isn't too bad for thickness imo, its not noticably different to my Alienware M17X R2. except it doesn't weigh quite as much.

Kade Storm, Papusan, Mr. Fox and 3 others like this.
  6. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    I was talking about the p750dm or the p770dm that is actually slim compared to the p870dm.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I absolutely despise thin and light laptops. That is, in part, why most of them are garbage. The P870XX family is the closest thing to a perfect laptop that money can buy. It's definitely not perfect, but is very good as long as it has @Prema firmware. Without it, it's a crippled throttle pig. But, the specs, size and weight are ideal in my opinion. Build quality is also excellent.

Kade Storm, triturbo, Papusan and 5 others like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't like too thin or size zero lappies. I'm old school kind of a guy, so I'm used to thicker laptop(s) eventhough I'm quite young.
    Thin is okay if it performs alright when you're traveling abroad. I don't like iPad since using a laptop is far easier and comfortable rather than using a crippled system.
    Prema BIOS is recommended these days and its essential as human basic needs example, food, water, house and clothing.

Mr. Fox, triturbo, MrClippy and 3 others like this.
  9. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    I wanted a *portable* gaming beast, this is the reason why I bought a Dell precision 7710 with a 6920hq processor and upgraded the gpu to a gtx 1070. I needed something that is formal as well as upgradable as well as thin and something that can fit in my bag and not make me look like a nerd lol.

This is why I like the slightly thinner laptop category. What I despise is BGA gpu's, as long as the laptop is mxm upgradable and I buy the best processor available and overclock it extremely I'm fine with that for a few years. Because realistically why do you need the power of a 8700k in a laptop when you have a desktop capable of the same thing?
    Also the precision offers 6 hours of battery life on average which a clevo cannot even reach and believe it or not the processor is not throttled at ALL on battery unless the laptop reaches 7% and that's with a overclock, what laptop can handle that? A slightly slower BGA processor is worth it in my opinion as long as the gpu is UPGRADABLE!
    Also the BEST OF ALL is that it doesn't even touch throttling temperatures, Dell truly made an amazing laptop which is questionable for in the alienware category.

Everyone has their own requirement it seems.

Edit: Me buying the 2 alienware 18's for £600 made business sense I will make more money of the lappies by modding them and then selling them. Otherwise I will never keep an alienware 18. That is the REAL briefcase LOL.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I have same requirements as well. For university I got a gaming laptop w/ optimus for longer battery runtimes. But, Precision was very very expensive here. And upgrades even costs more.

Arrrrbol, KY_BULLET and DaMafiaGamer like this.