The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    And what shows that I haven't? Maybe re-read the thread title. We talk about +150w power consumption which you probably know will be converted into heat. All this heat has to be removed with the smaller and older DM-G cpu heatsink who was designed for the 4 core Skylake. Of course the processor is delidded. In the same way as I prefer for all my processors.

For the records... This below is i7-8700k running 5GHz in Cinebench R15 in a desktop. And you can find my Cinebench run with 5.1GHz in post #527

If you haven't the facts or didn't bear to read the whole thread, maybe ask before you come with your conclusions or just read the whole thread.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  2. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It takes some guts to delid a £320 processor, good to know you did it though and yes I didn't read the thread in its entirety which I will do lol.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Almost all of us do this. I don't even bother checking temps before a delid any more because it is a waste of time and thermal paste. I do it as soon as I take the CPU out of the box. My first several delids were done with a razor blade. That takes guts, especially the first time. Then I bought a RockitCool delid tool. With the delid tool there is essentially no risk involved. I have delidded 4790K (1), 6700K (3), 7700K (3), 8700K (4) and 7940X (1). All of them run 15-20°C cooler after delid, so doing it requires no thought or debate. At least in my case, choosing to delid is a no-brainer and a given... like brushing my teeth, taking a shower and combing my hair every morning. Skipping those things ruins my day.

4. Papusan

Reputations:
    I can add in some useful info for you as well. Never forget what normally will happen with higher and higher temp... The power consumption rises with temperature (because of I2R losses). Higher wattage/power consumption = More heat. A never ending evil circle if you are at border in temperature land and which can only be solved with better cooling/or cooling intended for the processors. Better cooling can help you to lower voltage and as a nice results this will lower the Power consumption and heat. Or higher overclock:vbthumbsup:

5. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    I have pretty much lost track of how many CPU's i have delidded by now. I actually delidded a friends 8700k yesterday with a razor blade. He was sweating bullets, and im doing my thing all casual.

The delid tool however is just so convenient and easy to use. However, i still do not suggest people use 3D Printed ones, to save a few dollars.

Its funny to see @Papusan complain about heat haha!

Kade Storm, Vasudev, Papusan and 5 others like this.
  6. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Yep reminds me of when I delidded my 6700k to be honest I thought I would mess it up and took the ihs off with the razor quickly but confidently. The PCB was damaged badly on one side. I thought it wouldn't work so I was like 'it's worth a try' and somehow I saw the 'style notebook' bios screen come up on my p771dm-g and I was amazed. I have only been doing this for less than a year, was 18 when I started 'laptop mods' but started micro soldering at 16, replacing iphone power ic's, charging ports etc...

I know more about phones than laptops but I have a genuine interest in this stuff which is why I do what I do!

Edit: Alienware 18 + GTX 1070 SUCESS post coming in 30 minutes @sicily428 a heads up!

Vasudev, sicily428, jaybee83 and 2 others like this.
  7. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I checked the 8086k was worth keeping before i put it in the tool ;)

9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  10. Papusan

Reputations: