The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well your in luck my sli setup will be two gtx 1070 mxms msi ones hopefully there is not bottleneck. I will modify the heatsinks too and casing if needed.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You'll need the 4K screen to give the 1070s a workout. In mine the 4.2 3940XM with CL10 DDR3-1800 is the clear limiter at 1080p/120hz.

Arrrrbol and KY_BULLET like this.
  3. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    That's exactly why I'm doing a 4k screen edp mod from the mini displayport, as I said previously on other alienware forums @Khenglish has helped me find the schematic and helped me find the wire to do the mod with.

BOE NV184QUM-N21 This is the LCD, has the 5v power requirement, all I need to do is solder a few wires to disconnected capacitors which I have located, I will need to undersolder each side the capacitors first so that the mini display port cannot function anymore. In this case the signal will go to the screen. LVDS 5V and backlight control aswell as sensor will be soldered to the edp wire to make it all work.

Wish me luck. I spent A LOT of money for this!

Ashtrix, CaerCadarn, triturbo and 4 others like this.
  4. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    @bennyg only worry is tripping the 330w ac adapter which is bound to happen. Anyone here know the max wattage a 330w adapter can give out?

Arrrrbol likes this.
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If memory serves, logic dictates that a Delta 330W PSU can pull up to 355W to the system (380W from the wall) before it power trips off.
    If I were human, this would be my answer.
    If I were human.

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I have pushed the single 330w psu up to 425w peak power (from the wall). Expect more normal 412w (80% efficiency). But this won't help a ****y for the Alienware 18. Give a HUGE thanks to Azor and DELL who prefer to cripple everything they touch.
    See post above.

Ashtrix, Vasudev, Kade Storm and 3 others like this.
  7. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    As I mentioned before, the Alienware 18 is hard limited to 330w, this is not due to the AC adapter.

Ashtrix, Kade Storm and bennyg like this.
  8. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Is there anyway some soldering can fix this issue I will literally solder the charging wires directly to the mb to make the ultimate alienware if possible. There are too many flaws in this system.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You most likely will need some sort of shunt type mod resistor setup because this limit comes from the Embedded Controller (not sure if its from the Bios directly, and to be honest that is irrelevant.). You would need a schematic of the mainboard and then a way to make the system think it is using less current than it actually is (the same concept as soldering certain ohm resistors for shunt mods on video cards).

DaMafiaGamer, Arrrrbol and KY_BULLET like this.
  10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You would also need to consider enhancing the VRM capabilities, it was obviously not intended to pull anything more than 330w. Though those with more knowledge of the individual mosfets installed would be able to say more on that.

Reminds me of the volt mods for desktop GPUs on OCN. Fun stuff, once you have a strategy in place.