The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Well it is done: I WILL NO LONGER HIGH JACK THIS THREAD, I am a record holder for sure though![​IMG]
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Ashtrix, jaybee83, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Are you sure? For a 4940MX, that is better than expected. So, seriously, nice job on that. I believe that is the highest official score (per HWBOT) for a 4940MX. The sad part is because 4940MX was an inferior product not very many people purchased it, and only five people in the whole world submitted a Cinebench R15 score for that CPU at HWBOT.

Can you please run a Cinebench R11.5 and show us the score?

I just quickly grabbed these from my archives. Not sure if they were my best, but they were all quad core laptops.

4930MX (@Papusan's score)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Ashtrix, jaybee83, Vasudev and 6 others like this.
  4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Good scores but keep in mind the other CPUs can also be overclocked.

I couldn't find my higher runs but this is 5Ghz on my old 7700K: [Stock cooling, max fans, just raised the multiplier, no extra voltage.]

[​IMG]

5. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Wow I just passed @Papusan 's 4930mx but barely. I guess those chips may be binned better but this qs chip isn't a slouch!

Yeah it seems the 4790k is out of my league I was being a BIT TOO optimistic about speeds. I'm managed to hit 880db is cinebench and have the machine crash straight after.

I'm happy though because it literally runs circles around my 6920hq and uses the same power (roughly). Cooling is good but for some reason the fans don't kick in high enough until mid 80s. Maybe it's a defective motherboard surely alienware can't be this stupid in designing a fan table?

Edit: max temp reached is 91c metal paste was a must for this, took out those useless screws that mount the heatsink on the motherboard and used direct ones to make proper contact. Similar to the mod done on the p751zm batman 1.0 which I had and miss (no damn edp though).

Vasudev and Arrrrbol like this.
  6. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    At those speeds you have no worries about bottlenecking the GPU unless you have some crazy SLI setup. Would not be surprised if that was the default Alienware fan curve, so I doubt your MB is faulty. As long as you stay under 95 degrees you won't thermal throttle. I wouldn't be afraid to run that thing HOT as if the worst happens you can just replace the CPU (since it's not BGA crap like the new Alienwares).

7. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    With the unlocked BIOS I think the trigger point to kick the fans on faster but only with MX CPU's, not sure how it will behave with the QS ones you have. I recommend splicing a switch to the control wire for the fans. Its what I plan to do after a while...

Ashtrix and Arrrrbol like this.
  8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    damn you Fox! you managed to beat EACH of my CB15 scores for the 4790K/6700K/7700K by 20 points! its like the standard Fox offset *lol* :D
    Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well what did you expect? Even I can't beat his 980M fox offset!

10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Actually they were that stupid. The fan tables on my AW17 R1 and AW18 were messed up compared to the older M17xR4 and M18xR2.

Ashtrix and Kade Storm like this.