The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. AHMED KARAM

AHMED KARAM The Strategist

Reputations:
    Clevo P870DM-G GTX 1080 Upgrade - Crysis 3 Test

2. BeastsForever.TheDragon

BeastsForever.TheDragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Khenglish @Mr. Fox

Can you please tell me how many of the total pins are the null revision pins(which you stated are for power draw via slot). Also, which are they?(p170em has diffrent?)

Also, here
    [​IMG]

What did you used as a junction? Capacitoor? Or pulled a resistor?

@Mr. Fox , can you post the same pic vertically so that i can see the numbers hindered by the wires...

All this for sake of knowledge:):vbbiggrin:

3. BeastsForever.TheDragon

BeastsForever.TheDragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know I'm being a stupid asker here.... But so did you connected the 4+4 board connections as a series for the final 8 pin gpu connector? Or you just did a per-pin thingy?
    @Khenglish

AHMED KARAM likes this.
  4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Normally you would max all settings including AA, however it still shows the performance with FXAA. It performs slitghly worse than a desktop GTX 1070 which is quite a drop, however it seems your unigine score is normal.

Also in case of witcher3, normally people download save files for that purpose. I mostly use that game to benchmark myself.

Temps are decent tho, peaked at 87c in crysis 3 but maintained a 4.7ghz clock, so it's not to shabby, for a notebook at least.
    I don't know if it has something to do with power management or what the reason is, but so far when getting benchmarks from any P870DM with an 6700K/7700K the GPU really underperforms. That's why I wanted you to do a crysis 3 or Witcher 3 test, because the Clevo got destroyed whenever the GPU needed to work alongside the CPU. I was wondering if PremaMod would fix this funny glitch, apparently not as of today. (maybe you can find a solution? )

I don't know if you can figure out how to fix this, but I'm sure you will at least try. Maybe the new AC might fix this, we will see. So far, performance rather meh in crysis 3, but the fact that the GTX 1080 runs with a mod, is still pretty cool.

Can someone with a 1070 or modded 1070 run crysis 3? Maybe @bennyg ? I know you got GTX 1070 SLI but don't know if ou got crysis 3 and more importantly are willing to test it.

EDIT:
    Also something to note here, you ask me to behave like an adult, yet all i did was ask for benchmarks. You claimed how the system was the best thing ever made, how it would crush every BGA notebook etc. However you don't seem to know how you even benchmark games properly, which shocked me considering that's the thing you do. You claim it's so much better than anything yet you apparently never checked the performance vs other notebooks, because as of now, the GT 73VR with a 1080 dumpsters your modded notebook, it's not even close. At least in Crysis 3.

Not to be mean, I really like the fact that you guys tried to upgrade it, and it was a success in the end, which is very cool, but your overhyped speech kinda ruined it for me. I would actually love it if you would change your attitude if anything, instead of taking a default position that your system is the best, maybe try a more adult approach, test it vs other systems. Find someone with an MSI GTX 1080 notebook, a guy with an ASUS GTX 1080 notebook, another with acer and whatnot and compare the performance. Test it vs actual competition in more practical usage (such as gaming), so that people can have an idea what they can expect. All you did so far (at least as far as I can tell) was synthethic benchmarks, which again have been proven to be rather inaccurate.

I like the work put in to it, I like that it's possible, I like that it runs, I even don't dislike that the performance is subpar as of now, because as I mentioned earlier, who knows if this mod will be really cool on the next gen, what I really dislike however was the amount of boasting without backup.

To be brutally honest, if anything, you prove that the notebook upgradability market is slowly dying if anything. I mean all this effort to get meh GTX 1080 performance simply isn't worth it. It's a shame really, considering we got old 1st gen I7 CPU's on Alienware which were upgradable without any issues up to maxwell and now people need to do this ridiculous yet interesting mod to get a GTX 1080 somwhat running is beyond me. I don't mind BGA CPU's since lets face it, once you got an ivy I7 you really won't see any bottlenecks, but the MXM market is rather dark.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2018
    triturbo likes this.
  5. Ryan Russ

Ryan Russ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When you say AC, do you mean a cheap phase change solution? Linus did something recently using an old portable ac unit in a cooler with a liquid loop running, and got below ambient at load. I think with a direct core contact using a cheap waterblock, you certainly should be able to chill the laptop down to negative temps.

Also, could you do a couple runs at 1080p high with final fantasy xv benchmark tool? It might help show the relevance of the card to modern titles. http://benchmark.finalfantasyxv.com/na/

Crysis 3, if I like it or not has become pretty antiquated in regards to modern gpu tech. If it's not too much to ask, could you also do some benches with rise of the tomb raider and wildlands?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    hes talking about an actual portable AC unit :) he puts it beneath the laptop and blows ice cold air right into the lower vents, thus keeping the hardware at below ambient temps.

7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Are there any site or similair where you can compare the result of the FFXV benchmark?

8. Ryan Russ

Reputations:
    After you finish the bench, it links you to a comparison page which contains all sorts of different cards including mobility.

9. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    That's pretty cool. Do you have some expected score for a notebook GTX 1080?

10. Ryan Russ

Reputations:
    I suppose I'm used to crazier things coming from a desktop background. Back in the day, (when I was 15) I broke apart a mini-fridge and put the phase changer directly onto my CPU to overclock, and when I was 16 I did something similar to Linus with alcohol as coolant instead of antifreeze with the phase changer in a cooler with my radiator. Doesn't work 100% as effective as water, but I did get some crazy results, like -60c.

jaybee83 likes this.