The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Then why is it that I see heaven ran on 1080p and ultra quality while yours is only on high?

Also, can you just do witcher 3 in novigrad and Crysis 3 welcome to the jungle? A video of 5-10min gameplay is sufficient. I want to see the temps, clocks etc. 1080p, maxed out settings on each game, hairworks on witcher 3 on obviously. and full AA on Crysis 3.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2018
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ask @Papusan He'll tell you everything
    I kid you not.
    That's exactly what he claimed, He even took photoshopped pictures and refused to take a valid picture when asked by D2 Ultima and others.
    And lying about making your own EC...that's really low. And claiming that it was stable at 5.2 ghz when you cant even stop a GT73VR from reaching prochot at 4.9 ghz at the vcore required for stability for all 8 threads loaded, IF you could avoid the Zener diode overcurrent "trip" (ask @BeastsForever.TheDragon about that).

3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I was really hoping this thread wouldn't get derailed as this is a really great mod for those that spent a heck of a lot of cash to get something with a future.

For an active DTR hater why is he even bothering with a thread like this to begin with?

4. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    I couldn't allow him to start bashing Mr Fox's hard work, not after what Frank Azor did to Mr Fox because they were losing nazi "control" of their laptop's usage envelope by the general public being aware of just how over-engineered they were for that time. Plus it's extremely disrespectful as well.

5. Scerate

Scerate Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    long2905, oSChakal, DreDre and 10 others like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Probably because I made a mistake. Things get a little bit fuzzy around 2AM. I had it set to Ultra and maybe my mouse scroll wheel moved the setting. I did not pay attention to the score and that's too high for Ultra. Here is a corrected sample. Temps and clocks are basically the same, just the score corrected. Thank you for saying something about my mistake on that or I may never have noticed it. While we do not see eye-to-eye on many things, I will give you credit for being right when I am not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I really hate Witcher franchise and other titles similar to it. I do not know the Novigrad chapter and if I have to play it long enough to reach that checkpoint, then I'm not going to do that simply because I do not have enough interest in the title to play it long enough to accomplish that. If I can load the chapter without having to progress through the game let me know and I will consider doing that. The reason you only see me showing videos of the tutorial is because I haven't played more than 10 to 15 minutes into the game before I lose all interest in playing it. I feel the same about Skyrim and most other open world RPG titles. They just bore me too much to bother with them.

Here is the Crysis 3 run... I use FXAA. Everything else is maxed out. FPS and temps are about the same as the other examples I showed. I could have used other settings had I seen it was something you thought was important, but I am not going to redo it since there is no need to do so to demonstrate the effectiveness of this mod.

Sometime in the next month or so maybe I will find time to break out my portable AC unit and get busy with some extreme overclocking benchmarks. My interest in playing games is pretty limited.

Please consider an attitude adjustment so we can all behave like civilized adults. One of the smartest things I have seen you post lately is that all laptops are garbage as they ship from the factory. If you keep the insults and condescending remarks limited to products (most of which are worthy of that) instead of people I think we can all get along just fine.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    long2905, jaug1337, oSChakal and 16 others like this.
  7. BeastsForever.TheDragon

BeastsForever.TheDragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hehe, something that happened to me playing dark souls.....

BTW gpu temps are Great... Verymuch better then current lineup..

DreDre, Scerate, Falkentyne and 4 others like this.
  8. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Phoenix 870DM was never dead. Period. & now It will never be, Thank you very much @Mr. Fox , @Khenglish , @Prema , @tanzmeister , @Ted@HIDevolution , @Donald@HIDevolution , @Jon Webb

This is really one of the greatest achievements in recent times at NBR, Watching the 870DM shine brighter than ever is truly remarkable. The Z170 chipset with dual MXM slots with 266W/MXM itself with 780W PSU is enough to kill all the BGA crap and the damned stupid "fake i9" that's going to hit soon.

Fantastic work :vbthumbsup:. Thanks for sharing this. This is going to leave a mark in time for eternity, all the industry on one side with filth. But we ride the real deal, firespitting beasts. The best always chose the best & show how things should be. What a time to live and have the best of us enjoy and live this moment !!

Azor and co, instead of recruiting guys like you or at-least get the good ideas, they hire the gimpster crowd and put forth robbing as first lines...

Also the best games are featured here. Crysis 3, Metro Redux !!
    I'm also an avid FPS lover, DOOM would be awesome too, thank you again. I bet everyone was thrilled to see this since the debut of new Prema site with Khenglish page, now I hope the 8700K project should take this to next level :cool: Intel will cough blood soon..

All the best for the 8700K project !

long2905, triturbo, Rage Set and 9 others like this.
  9. BeastsForever.TheDragon

Reputations:
    Yeah, they'll make history if they mod 6core in z170..... When they've done it, I'm going to span and blood-shame intel everywhere!.... All the best people.we're counting on ya

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Well (thread jacked), I'm considering modding my GTX 1070 to 230W on my GT73VR vomitbook but I need @Khenglish 's opinion on whether such an abortion is safe or not. The card can handle it. But I want to be a cool brave modder like Mr. Fox. Except I know less than 10% of what he knows. I can't even freaking modify a heatsink because I don't have any tools. Anyway this isn't the place to ask about this :)

slimmolG and Mr. Fox like this.
  11. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very inspiring work! This was a real team effort and just superb results. Thanks @Mr. Fox etal.

Did you ever consider piping in some removable liquid cooling?

12. BeastsForever.TheDragon

Reputations:
    A vertical radiator might be able to do it.......

pressing likes this.