The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Yeah I think you should let people like Khenglish do that for you instead =D

the question remains tho, is it worth it? We don't know the actual performance. For all we know it might be the same performance as a higher TDP GTX 1070.

2. AHMED KARAM

AHMED KARAM The Strategist

Reputations:
    Yes maybe, but for me I trust that Mr. Fox, Prema and the whole team will not waste their time for something not valuable. They were working on this for a long time with silence, but they will never annonce it and telling everyone without making sure that is a successful project.
    You have to give it sometime, I know Mr. Fox so busy in many things, and he will update us with all remain information.
    You have to see how much flexibility that Clevo has to allow all pioneers to add value to their laptops, something no one can do with any other current brands.

3. BeastsForever.TheDragon

BeastsForever.TheDragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well since it looks like he didn't get finished until around 4am (EST) 1am (MST), he was probably fighting to stay awake. From seeing how much he benches his desktop, I would say that there will be plenty of benchmarks coming...Stay tuned...

5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    It's never a waste, even if the GTX 1080 is underperforming,it's nice to know that it is indeed possible. Might be useful when we get weird form factor GTX 20xx cards for instance. Also I'm far more impressed that apparently AW R2 notebooks can run friggn maxwell at the moment.

AHMED KARAM likes this.
  6. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    The AK beast lives!!! Congrats brother. I think it is time we build a Hall of Fame for your special/unique one of a kind super beasts. I'll be keeping my eyes glued to this thread.

7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    patience young grasshopper! They'll come.

First things when testing completely new hardware is you want to check a) drivers b) temps and c) can it safely draw its rated power. So far: yep, 76C max, yep. Then worry about relative performance.

long2905, t6nn_k, pressing and 9 others like this.
  8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    grasshopper is impatient ;3

9. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You aren't really telling @Mr.Fox how to benchmark are you? That would be silly on your part. I am sure there will be plenty of benchmarking when he has a chance.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

oSChakal, triturbo, ole!!! and 8 others like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    People that actually understand what they are doing do max out all of the settings in Heaven because the Extreme preset is messed up. The Extreme preset runs at 1600x900 in window mode, which is not the right way to run an extreme anything benchmark. My Heaven benchmark is 100% comparable to Heaven benchmarks run by people that actually know how to properly use the product and set their settings to match exactly what mine are. It's not comparable to the click-and-run presets run by noobs.

AlexusR, long2905, oSChakal and 18 others like this.