The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The G53 Asus?
    I still have one, legendary machine.

2. Duck W

Duck W Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I didn't know Domino has its own laptop line.

3. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Sadly, it doesn't live up to Papa John's.

Duck W and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  4. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So guys I’ve had a lot of free time and thought why not feed this bga 8950hk 1.47v o_O at 5ghz :D

[​IMG]

....I mean at least it performed, didn’t overheat either I wonder why. (I had a small ice pack on top of the cpu heat pipes no joke :D)

@Papusan bga is still trash, fortunately the precision 7730 is one of the better bga notebooks lol

That awkward moment when a 8950hk performs on par with a stock 9880h (8 core 16 thread cpu) LOL

electrosoft and jc_denton like this.
  5. Mauserk98

Mauserk98 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello folks plz i need ur help iwant to upgrade my CPU from I7 6700 to i5 9400F but i need ur help with the bios mod can anyone help me
    P.S I'm a NOOOOB when come to bios update and such thing but I'm a fast learner ;);):)

6. thewizzard1

thewizzard1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Going to be performing this mod shortly - Replacing a 6700K with a 8700K and the 980D with a 1080 3.0 (not Clevo). That heatsink looks like too much work for me, as much as I'd like to have a 200W card to replace the current desktop-class 980!

7. thewizzard1

Reputations:
    Got my P870DM-G project half-done:
    1. MXM slot modded to accept Clevo 1070 / 1080 cards - Heatsink mod is now on the list
    2. Need to upgrade the BIOS - @Mr. Fox @Prema is this BIOS available? I do have an official Prema system! :)

Some notes:
    1. I need to clean up the 1.8v enable and 3.3v power wires a bit.
    2. External output did NOT function at all before installing the Nvidia drivers - Unknown cause.
    3. Internal eDP was garbled and glitchy, like a noisy wire - Drivers resolved this in full. You can see some of the eDP glitching on the far right edge of the display. Not bad pixels, a horizontally dancing and vertically color-sweeping line.

I will be upgrading my motherboard BIOS soon, hopefully, possibly modding the vBIOS to better suit my needs, upgrading to the 1080 which will be orphaned by my X711 laptop (P775DM2), but only after creating a heatsink for this hot mess.

I will also be shaving down the processor standoffs to better apply pressure from the CPU heatsink - It's rather uneven, more than I'm comfortable with using properly applied AS5.

Reassembly.... Maybe sometime in the future, but I'm considering a custom bottom case so I can use a P870DM2/3 Clevo-style MXM heatsink.
    PXL_20201208_224057439.jpg

Attached Files:

Vasudev and IllusiveMan like this.
  8. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice job pulling off the soldering for the mod. Fox sent his system to me to do it for him. For his I used a stranded wire with all but 1 strand broken off. On mine I used LCD cable wire.

If you're getting eDP issues that means you are picking up interference with how you currently have the eDP cable running close to the motherboard. If its in its proper track with the laptop assembled you shouldn't have issues picking up noise.

FYI Clevo 20 series are compatible as well since you got the 10 series to work.

Vasudev and thewizzard1 like this.
  9. thewizzard1

Reputations:
    Wire-wrap wire did the trick for me, for the 1.8v line. The 3 pins on the 3.3v line was a cut copper foil - My go-to for that kind of bodge.

That's the weird thing, though - I checked that, and it was doing it until *exactly* when the driver was installed. It was fixed when the display redraw occurred during driver installation. I'm thinking it was something to do with assumed timing.

10. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah that's normal. For some reason when the driver kicks in it can handle noise on the eDP better. This is true for any card Maxwell and newer, but not for Kepler and older.

Vasudev and thewizzard1 like this.