The Mighty Clevo P870DM-G "Phoenix" Gets an 8700K and GTX 1080 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know Mr. Fox had a modified BIOS but I think that was just a subsystem ID mod so that driver .inf modding was not necessary. No bios/vbios mods should be necessary.

What is the status of your mod? The hardest wire to solder is the 1.8V enable line as it goes to just 1 single pin on the MXM slot. I wasn't sure if this wire was necessary at first because I initially did not test without it on my system and Mr. Fox's system, but later I tried mine without it and the card did not power up at all, so you need to make sure you add it. The 3.3V is much easier since it goes to 3 pins. Let me know if you want advice on how to do the soldering.

2. cvtlms

cvtlms Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you very much. you encouraged me again.What are your suggestions to me when soldering?
    I'm going to start soldering, but the connection in the picture below is correct?
    And what exactly is on the red mark? Is there any integrated or chip. Just does solder ball

Attached Files:

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  4. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello @Khenglish!

May god you're still here!

Sorry for the offtopic:
    Can you please confirm that there is no way to upgrade a gecube gtx1060 with a N17E-G3-A1 GPU, even if swapping vRAMs to those micron GDDR5, right?
    The only way to upgrade is the N17E-G2-A1 with adding the 2 missing vRAMs and vBIOS flashing, and I think there are no other things to do with config resistors.

5. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah turning the card into a 1070 is the best you can do. I killed 2 1070 boards trying out 1080 cores on them.

It's so much work to change the core, add the VRAM and associated caps and resistors, and hope there's nothing else that needs changing that I'd just buy a 1070.

6. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, true. The internal structure of the 1080 is different than the 1060/1070 ones from what I discovered, thanks for confirmation.

I guess it's required to be only a N17e-G2-A1 chip and not the desktop one GP104-200-A1 because of the device ID from within the chip at least..?
    I was thinking a desktop card would serve for parts maybe GP104-300-A1 one, but i doubt even the 1070 will work at all, the tricks with maxwell will not work with pascal.

7. rockman1216

rockman1216 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried anything similar with the RTX Series MXM Cards?

8. Papusan

Reputations:
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    jclausius and Papusan like this.