The Maximum RAM for ASUS Tuf A15

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Faisal McMissile Damieya, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Faisal McMissile Damieya

Faisal McMissile Damieya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good day,

I plan to buy a new laptop to be used in my university (mostly for MATLAB simulation). This time, I would like to go for the 4th gen AMD mobile APU instead of the 10th gen Intel mobile CPU.

So far, the laptop with the most powerful AMD APU but still within my budget is the ASUS Tuf A15 with Ryzen 9 4900H and GTX1660Ti (I think I don't need the RTX2060 variant). However, the official ASUS website below says the Tuf A15 can detect only up until 32GB of 3200MHz of ram:
    https://www.asus.com/my/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A15/specifications/

I did search for the keyword 'tuf a15 maximum ram' on google. Some search result claims that the Tuf A15 (or other laptop brands with the Ryzen 4000 series APU) can detect 64GB of ram, but most of the websites/videos only make the claim without giving any photo/screenshoot/video evidence, so I am not sure whether I should believe that claim or not. For examples:
    1) This OPTIC PC online laptop seller allows its customers to customise the Tuf A15 (Ryzen 7 4800H and RTX2060) that they buy with up until 64GB of RAM.
    https://xoticpc.com/products/asus-tuf-tuf506iv-as76
    2) This seller on Newegg also allows its customers to customise the Tuf A15 (Ryzen 7 4800H and RTX2060) that they buy with up until 64GB of RAM.
    https://www.newegg.com/gray-asus-tuf-a15/p/2WC-000N-01SY9
    3) This crucial.com website claims that the Tuf A15 can detect up until 64GB of RAM.
    https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/asus-tuf-gaming-a15
    4) This XMG (a TongFang ODM reseller) allows their Core 15 laptop (Ryzen 7 4800H) to be customised with up until 64GB of RAM.
    https://www.xmg.gg/en/xmg-core-15-amd
    5) This Illegear (another TongFang ODM reseller) also allows their ONYX V RYZEN laptop (Ryzen 7 4800H, might be similar with the Core 15 from XMG) to be customised with up until 64GB of RAM.
    https://store.illegear.com/onyx-series/226-illegear-onyx-v-ryzen.html

Is there any reliable but cost-effective way for me to confirm whether the Tuf A15 can detect 32GB or 64 GB of RAM?

I bought a used Dell Optiplex 7010 Small Form Factor last year with i7-3770 CPU. The official user's guide and service manual stated that the maximum RAM that the Dell Optiplex 7010 Small Form Factor can detect is up until 4 x 4GB of DDR3 1600MHz, but I accidentally found some people in a few forums claiming that they did try to install 4 x 8GB of DDR3 1600MHz and can be detected by their Dell Optiplex 7010 Small Form Factor. Since 16GB of DDR3 is quite affordable, I didn't have any problem buying used 4 x 8GB of DDR3 1600MHz to test it myself. Luckily, my Dell Optiplex 7010 Small Form Factor can really detect the 4 x 8GB of DDR3 1600MHz.

The 2 x 32GB of DDR4 3200MHz however is too expensive for me to buy just for testing. In addition, I would like to avoid buying the Tuf A15 if it is really confirmed that it can only detect up until 32GB of RAM. Instead, I will go for the 10th gen Intel if the 4000 series Ryzen APU because at least all of the laptop that comes with i7-10750H that I've seen so far from Dell, HP, MSI, Acer, ASUS, Gigabyte/Aorus, Clevo, TongFang etc do claim that their laptops can detect up until 64GB of RAM.

Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The A15 is a very poor laptop.

3. Faisal McMissile Damieya

Reputations:
    Thank you for your concern. The only reason why I choose the Tuf A15 is because it is the only laptop so far that comes with Ryzen 9 4900H. Other models with AMD APU at the moment only go up until Ryzen 7 4800H.

If Tuf A15 is really that bad (in terms of thermal issue), then I will just go for other models with Ryzen 7 4800H like TongFang, Acer Nitro 5, Lenovo Legion 5 15 etc. Another option is to go for the Intel Core i7-10750H.

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Have you considered Eluktronics Matrix rp-15?
    It seems to have the best cooling and upgrading the RAM is pretty easy on that one.
    I don't think you'll notice much difference between 4800H and 4900H.

5. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Look at that clock rate between 1600mhz and 3200mhz, with the most efficient CPU AMD produce today that can knock off those few models of high performance CPUs from intel... Do u really need that much RAMs to do whatever u're doing?

6. Faisal McMissile Damieya

Reputations:
    I am considering that model. Beside can detect the RAM up until 64GB of RAM, the cooling system is so good that the manufacturer set the laptop to supply 72 Watt of power to the CPU when we use the Overboost performance setting. The more power supplied to the CPU, the more powerful the laptop will be. As far as I know, the maximum power supplied to other AMD laptops in their best performance settings are as follow:
    1) Lenovo Legion 5 15: 65 Watt
    2) HP Omen 2020: 53 Watt
    3) ASUS Tuf A15: default setting at 45W
    4) Acer Nitro 5 2020: Still unknown - please let me know if you have the info regarding this.

So far I have no information regarding the maximum power supplied to the CPU of the Intel gaming laptops. Just in case if any of you know the maximum power supplied to the following Intel laptops, please let me know:
    1) Acer Predator Helios 2020 (i7-10750H and RTX2060)
    2) MSI GP65 10SEK (i7-10750H and RTX2060)
    3) Lenovo Legion 5i 15 (i7-10750H and any GPU that is RTX2060 or lower)

All right, understood.

The reason why I prefer any laptop that can go up until 64GB of ram is for future-proofing. The RAM that I need right now might just be either 16GB or 32GB, but who knows I might need up until 64GB if I am still using the laptop by the time DDR4 becomes cheaper many more years in the future.

Thank you very much.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm doing content creation and I'm presently using 32GB which I find 'sufficient', but will likely upgrade to 64GB by the end of the year, or to 128GB (since my laptop has 4 RAM slots, I'll obviously have to disassemble the unit to get to the RAM beneath the kb... its a pain in the neck to do but worth it for the extra RAM).

You'd be surprised how much RAM intensive productivity software can get. Adobe video editing tools can finish processing a video in half the time on 64GB systems than on say 32GB... and 3d Studio Max (not to mention other software) loves to chew through RAM if you're using high resolution textures like me on 3d models or if you're constructing large/complex environments.

It really depends on what one is using, and I'd prefer to focus on open source programs, but for the purpose of my studies I won't have that luxury (though in regards to 3D software I'm FAR more accustomed to 3d Studio Max than Blender for example).

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    RAM doesn't become cheaper when standards change, it's actually quite the opposite. While that does strengthen the case for getting the maximum you can right now, unless you're currently using RAM intensive applications like video editing or scientific work, it doesn't make a ton of sense to spend that kind of money. For a 64 GB kit, you're looking at spending a full 1/4-1/3 the price of the laptop itself. For an entry-level laptop, especially one as bad as the A15, that's throwing good money after bad.

9. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    @saturnotaku, I agree. That is why I always like to fully max out a platform when bought (or within the first six months, at most). That way, any benefits will be fully utilized by the time it will be ready to be replaced.

The things I like to continuously upgrade is the SSD's (4TB are too small today and 2TB are pathetic, capacity-wise), and the WiFi adaptors.

The base platform (M/B, CPU, GPU, and RAM) need not ever be touched during ownership. And they are what give the system it's oomph! (CPU+RAM=Work Done).

10. Faisal McMissile Damieya

Reputations:
    I asked about the same question (The Maximum RAM for ASUS Tuf A15) in another forum in my country. Most of the people in the forum also advise me to forget about the Tuf A15 because of the terrible thermal issue. One of the forumners even advised me to go for the Legion 5 15 series because it comes with better screen colour accuracy (100% sRGB) and better cooling system (in performance mode, the Intel version will be boosted with 75W of power while the AMD version will be boosted with 65W of power).

Below is the available model of AMD and Intel (in Malaysia) that I have shortlisted for myself:

1) Lenovo Legion 5 15 AMD version (https://www.lenovo.com/my/en/laptops/legion/legion-5-series/Lenovo-Legion-5-15ARH05/p/88GMY501444)
    Web Price: MYR3,783.12, around USD913.25 based on today's Google exchange rate.
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H Processor ( 2.90GHz 4MB )
    Display Type: 15.6"FHD, WVA, AntiGlare, LED Backlight, Narrow, 100%sRGB, Non-Touch, 144Hz 5ms, 9.5mm 1920x1080
    Memory: 16.0GB DDR4-3200 DDR4 SODIMM 3200MHz
    Storage: 1TB 5400+256GB SSD,PCIe-NVMe,TLC
    AC Adapter: 170W
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
    Keyboard: 6-row 4zone RGB Backlight, Black Key, White Icon English (US)

2) Lenovo Legion 5 15 Intel version (https://www.lenovo.com/my/en/laptops/legion/legion-5-series/Legion-5i-15/p/88GMY501434)
    Web Price: MYR4,971.12, around USD1200.03 based on today's Google exchange rate.
    Processor: Intel Core i7-10750H Processor ( 2.60GHz 12MB )
    Display Type: 15.6"FHD, WVA, AntiGlare, LED Backlight, Narrow, 100%sRGB, Non-Touch, 144Hz 5ms, 9.5mm 1920x1080
    Memory: 16.0GB DDR4-2933 DDR4 SODIMM 2933MHz
    Storage: 1TB 5400+256GB SSD,PCIe-NVMe,TLC
    AC Adapter: 170W
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650Ti 4GB GDDR6
    Keyboard: 6-row 4zone RGB Backlight, Black Key, White Icon English (US)

The only difference that I notice between the AMD and the Intel version is the GTX1650 vs GTX1650Ti. Unfortunately, the AMD version with the spec that I list above is already sold out. If I still want to go for the AMD version, I will have to wait for the next stock. It it is really urgent for me to own the laptop, I have no choice but to go for the Intel version.

If the Legion 5 15 is still too much for my workload, I can even downgrade some more to Ideapad 3 Gaming with the following spec:
    3) Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3i 15 Intel version (https://www.lenovo.com/my/en/laptops/legion/legion-5-series/IdeaPad-Gaming-3i-15”/p/88IPG301387)
    Web Price: RM3,915.12, around USD945.11 based on today's Google exchange rate.
    Processor: Intel Core i7-10750H Processor ( 2.60GHz 12MB )
    Display Type: 15.6"FHD, WVA, AntiGlare, LED Backlight, Narrow, Non-Touch, 120Hz 1920x1080
    Memory: 8.0GB DDR4-2933 DDR4 SODIMM 2933MHz
    Storage: 1TB 5400+256GB SSD PCIe
    AC Adapter: 135W
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti 4GB GDDR6
    Keyboard: 6-row Backlit English (US)

I still have a headache regarding the maximum supported RAM as usual. The official site (at least the Malaysian official site) says that the Lenovo 5 15 series can only go up until 16GB (but the same Lenovo Malaysia official site says that their Ideapad 3 Gaming series can go up until 32GB). When I search about this on google, some websites that I found claim that the Lenovo 5 15 series can detect up until 32GB, but there is no screenshot/photo/video evidence as usual. The Matthew Moniz's Lenovo Legion 5 15 video that I listed below stated that the Legion 5 15 series's RAM can be upgraded up until 64GB (at least for the Intel version), but I have no idea from where did Matthew Moniz get this info.

Lastly, today is the launching day for the new NVidia RTX3000 series GPU. If new laptop models with the new GPU series will be available in the market of my country immediately after this event, I might also have another headache because I have to select the best value for the money model all over again based on the newly available graphic card.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020