The M15x throttle? The final solution!

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by King of Interns, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    As far as I know the M15x doesn't interrogate the power supply properly. Not in the same way as the M17x R2 or M18x. Simply pulling the centre pin does the trick.

2. chopsy

chopsy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From what I understood, the 330W PSU limits itself to 240W (unlike other psu's) unless it gets the right signal on the center pin. So the m15x cannot pull more then the psu can provide. But if this is not true and all that guys guide could be bypassed by simply yanking the pin out like you did......HAHAHAHAHA!

MorejaSparda likes this.
  3. King of Interns

Reputations:
    We shall soon find out. I guess it is 50\50. The 330W may be different. I hoping it isn:t.

The M15x seems to send a limit out of it:s own along the centre pin. This limit is 200W. Yanking the pin out means the signal can:t reach the PSU thus no limitations. The 330W may very well be a different kettle of fish but noone seems to have had the balls to try it out on the M15x. I have invested in one to find out.

It isn:t the end of the road by any stretch. The 240W should be capable easily of 300W under heavy load and another alternative is the old 230W adaptor the M1730 used. Both should output to roughly the same. I am running the 210W now and it just about reaches it:s limits with 920xm and 7970M OCed to their utmost limits in the M15x. An extra 30-40W headroom should be adequate.

4. fatboyslimerr

fatboyslimerr Alienware M15x Fanatic

Reputations:
    Anyone running a modified PSU (210w, 230w or any with centre pin removed), have you noticed the left side of the laptop where the jack plugs in gets extremely warm during gameplay (using large overclocks)?
    I now have a couple of spare usb-powered fans pointing at this left side to cool it and it seems to be doing a good job. Was just slightly concerned how hot it was getting

5. King of Interns

Reputations:
    It is from the CPU heatpipes. If you look you will see that the heatpipes run close to that side of the laptop.

fatboyslimerr likes this.
  6. Knightxz

Knightxz Newbie

Reputations:
    I am back with lovely Alienware m15x!

So guys..what is the latest stable drivers for AMD 7970M? I tried with latest stable 13.12, latest beta 9.5 / 9.4 / 9.2 , all these drivers crash when playing Battlefield 4! :chatterbox: , all said drivers are good with 3DMark. Any best recommendation for stable drivers guys?

Thanks.

7. King of Interns

Reputations:
    Temperatures? Clockspeeds? Sounds like you are overheating?

8. Knightxz

Knightxz Newbie

Reputations:
    Temp = max 75c , Clockspeeds = stock speed 850/1200Mhz 0.975v , no overheat issues i guess. Tried with 240w PSU (Delta) still same issues. Using Windows 8 atm. What is your current drivers?

9. King of Interns

Reputations:
    Catalyst 13.9 official ones. I haven't tried BF4 though. Odd that you are crashing as those temps are not crash material! Perhaps dual boot win 7 and try the game on there?

10. gdyjggb1st

gdyjggb1st Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi,guys,

I've used the pa-7e 210w psu for my m15x (i7 920xm,dell gtx680m,samsung 8g,intel 80g ssd) ,

but why is it throttling all the time whether gaming or not ,

while it's fine using the original 150w psu

I'm sure i've turned off the stealth mode

thanks

:wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.