The Lenovo Y500 sucks thread!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by n1smo, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howard911s

howard911s Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I have posted the same question in the Q A thread, but thought I might try here cause you folks seem to be more demanding of your machine :p So if you seen this post, please bear with me.

I have searched around for a bit and could not find this concern I have.

Just purchased the Y500 yesterday, everything's good, trackpad is tolerable, but I have one concern.

The POWER BUTTON is fully functional but seems loose. Loose meaning when I touch or press on it lightly, the plastic button
    have a bit of play in it. It can be moved around (slightly) laterally and can hear the plastic rubbing against plastic noise. When I press it (lightly
    not to turn off the computer just sorta play with it), the power button has a bit of a play vertically as well.

I do not know the inner construction of laptops much but I wonder if anyone else's Y500 power button behave the same or am I overly concerned?
    I have been a macbook pro user for centuries and this is scary step for me back to PC hardware, perhaps I am over reacting but any opinion
    is greatly appreciated.

Howard

2. gnan10

gnan10 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    really this wifi card in my y500 pissing me off.. its disconnecting frquently
    but now its gone serious..not connecting at all..
    updated drivers
    but no luck.
    can anyone plz help me out

3. phill1978

phill1978 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    reseat it ?

4. Retro_UK

Retro_UK Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry but I had to respond to this. The problem of the trackpad may well be fixed in the U.S - but over here in the U.K, people are still receiving machines with defective trackpads.

And the only fix - well there are two. Either send it back for a refund and order another if you bought from somewhere like Amazon, and hope the replacement has a synaptic trackpad. Or send the thing off to Lenovo, who seem to take anywhere from a few days to almost a month to get peoples machines fixed and sent back to them. Pathetic.

I want one mainly for use in the bedroom in the evening and so won't be able to use a mouse. So the whole, "well you can use a separate mouse" argument is not valid, and frankly a poor excuse anyway.

I could order direct from Lenovo. But you know what? Over here they charge more than Amazon, and don't even fit the 1080p screen, they come with a 720p one. Amazon sell the better spec machine - unless you pay Lenovo ridiculous money for the 16GB model with the small SSD drive.

So yeah, some of use have good reasons for being wary. I am desperate for a laptop at the minute and am looking at all alternatives because Lenovo can't do something as simple as sell me a machine with a working mouse pad.

5. Lykos

Lykos Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I own the Y400 and this pisses me off too. I'm going to buy a USB 3 wifi adapter until the bios for the 750m get whitewashed.

6. iterziev

iterziev Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello Guys,
    here is my experience with Y500 model.
    I bought it a month ago. Used it in 1 week for programming and 3 of the keys have erased. A, S and space, also some scratches started on the others. So i can say - keyboard is the cheapest chineese ****.
    Also i am having problems with typing. When i type very often it duplicates some letters, which you know is annoying. You try to do some work and its full of mistakes and you have to correct them.
    I called support and they took it for repair, so i received the repaired (replaced keyboard) but still the duplicated letters continue to appear, even now while i was typing i had that few times.
    I callled again , they took it again for repair, but this time it took them 3 weeks, i had to call them 2 times and finally i got it back with report: No issues found :(

So excuse me but for laptop that i owe for 45 days, its been in service for 4 weeks. Sorry Lenovo, but tomorrow i'm going back to the reseller and will want my money back.
    Take the rubbish and use it by yourselves.

16GB ssd - also useless.

Otherwise - nice look, good performace, but the keyboard is the most important for my work, so laptop is useless if it makes me nervous every minute..

Regards.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear about that, and I hope that things work out with the repairs or refund.

Though the 16GB SSD isn't useless; you just can't use it as a storage drive that you can read/write directly. It's a SSD cache and is meant to speed up certain read/write operations to your mechanical drive. Mainly the OS and some of the programs you use most often.

8. FSU Logan

FSU Logan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Perhaps it's the user not the product?

9. Starrbuck

Starrbuck Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just got a Y500 last week for my son for graduation from Best Buy and it has the Synaptics trackpad. Works fine. No issues so far.

10. sasuke256

sasuke256 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    so now the y500 got synaptics touchpad, but if you get the other touchpad then u got a lappy with problems..
    does the GT 750M (single card) model comes with synaptics touchpad ?
    and does the modded bios makes optimus work ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.