The Lenovo Y500 sucks thread!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by n1smo, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. banini

banini Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Searching for no buying reasons i guess...

2. Juggernotonroids

Juggernotonroids Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm getting this laptop. It's either this or the Samsung new series 7.i want to game more. Don't care for touch screen. So this will be my choice. And it's cheaper

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Isn't the Samsung around the same price as the Y500 with SLI? Notebookcheck.net says that the 8870M in the Samsung has thermal throttling so it performed even worse than a single GT 650M. So SLI GT 650M will walk all over it then.

4. bl@h blah bl@h

bl@h blah bl@h Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My y500 is still being shipped. I got the i7 without any bells or whistles for 863.73. After reading the comments I tried finding a replacement but for that price not much luck so far. Should I chance it and in the event it malfunctions return it or will they slap me with restocking fees and make me jump threw hoops until I lose my will to use technology and move to an omish village? (I had a bad experience with HP)

5. dsuspense

dsuspense Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I grabbed an open box Y500 on eBay for about $800, added an SLI card and 170w PS for about $200 more, and although my laptop has the Elan trackpad issue, it is not a big problem, cause I use an external mouse.
    These are great gaming laptops for the price, and I am glad I got mine...

6. seanno

seanno Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is true that the SLI Gt 650's will completely destroy either configuration that are optional in the Samsung Crhonos laptops be it Hd 8770m or the Hd 8870m and with those laptops you will have other pains like constant throttling even at lower temperatures. No one could figure out if it was due to not enough power from the brick (which is only 90watts) or due to temperatures...largely because both were in the red when tested. Also you have to contend with unofficial ATI drivers and Enduro. Check it out at "Introducing The 2013 Series 7 Chronos with AMD HD8870M". So near as I can tell no perfect laptop exists....well, for a decent price anyways.

7. Untamed

Untamed Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Having got mine now a week ago, I love everything about this laptop except for the large bezel and 16:9 aspect. I've hammered out all the niggling software annoyances, and I have no hardware issues. It's solid, well built, nicely spec'd, affordable, and sleek.

8. Kukri

Kukri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My mouse is jumpy even after installing the latest driver from the lenovo site :/. Actually, it only happens if I drag the mouse towards the right or the top side of the screen. The cursor will keep moving after I stop my finger, and it keeps going past the edge of the screen. !? Doesn't happen to the left or bottom edge. Has anyone else noticed this???

9. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have found many complaints about the touchpad problem in this thread, however, you could try other versions of driver from other makes of laptop with similar specs of your laptop( Elantech really bad). Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working - Lenovo Community

10. Kukri

Kukri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea, I have the synaptics hardware installed with the newest lenovo drivers, but I was wondering if there are any laptops out there with similar enough hardware and drivers that might be compatible with this laptop. Any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.