The Lenovo Y500 sucks thread!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by n1smo, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biscuit26

biscuit26 Newbie

Reputations:
    i got my y400 two ago, (the 750$ with a coupon one) and i have to say for the price i paid im prettysure this is the best laptop i could've bought.. i don't know if the y400 has the same grouding issues as the y500 but i didn't notice any touchpad or keyboard problems. the only negative comment i have to say is the poor display quality the resolution is kinda OK 1366x768 in a 14'' is acceptable but viewing angles are very poor and you can easily use your screen as a mirror (the thing is very glossy !!!) but again for the price i paid i gess i'll have to close my eyes on this... So as of today i would recommend the y400 to everyone who wants a decent gaming laptop with a low budget..

2. pepper_john

pepper_john Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Your problem seems to be a defective keyboard and touchpad. Did you try to have them replaced?

3. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Use the laptop for now till the warranty runs out then replace the panel.

4. sachiel

sachiel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What's the issue of 660M in Y580? I never encountered any issues so far.

5. n1smo

n1smo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Negative, the defective systems would be the ones that are actually functioning properly. It is a design issue, there is nothing wrong with the Elan touchpad. It is improperly grounded, once grounded properly the touchpad works smoothly. As I've said, the people with the Synaptics still have a touchpad that is not working as well as it should, but it is able to react to the poor design better than the Elantech. Same thing with the keyboard but to a lesser extent but it is quite easy to see it is not a keyboard issue when the problem goes away if you turn off USB Always On. It is a design flaw, the Y500 is defective not the individual parts. Read the thread in the Lenovo support forum and you'll understand. Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working - Lenovo Community

6. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good old Elantech touchpad, same thing happened to the ASUS eee PC 10.2" series Netbooks (yup remember those) a few years back.

Not entirely Lenovo's fault but still a good place to start blaming.

7. Cordelle

Cordelle Newbie

Reputations:
    My y500 i got two weeks ago is great :D overclocks great looks great

8. Boncrek

Boncrek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As I was reading on the Lenovo forums there was a long thread about graphical glitches when playing games.
    The initial solution for many was to down clock the GPU memory by 100Mhz or have the motherboard replaced.
    The latest bios update was seen to fix it for many as well, again reading from the Lenovo forums.
    So the Y580 is back on my list again lol

9. mohammadbawany

mohammadbawany Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I truly do not understand how frustrated you guys probably are. The thing is that the y500 i received was issue less. The thing runs brilliantly and if i were to still "waste" that 850 bucks on a laptop again i would still buy this because of its good performance screen speakers and the general [sexy] look of it. If you had a broken y500 blame lenovo for not giving you what you paid for which i am certain is one of the best products i have used. So the title of this thread "Y500 sucks" is quite inaccurate instead it should be "lenovo sucks" which by the way i would completely agree with.the only reason i am writing this is that this is luring away many people from this laptop which i truly beleive is a good one.

10. Artwork

Artwork Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yup. Face it, even with the issues. This laptop is awesome price/specs wise. You won't find anything better.
    The customer service might lack to some though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.