The internet comes to Christmas!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Melody, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    The magic of technology is now one with the magic of Christmas :D

Web-savvy Santa changing the face of Christmas | CTV Montreal

2. Kuu

Kuu That Quiet Person

Reputations:
    inb4 the angry traditional parents and grandparents.

3. Melody

Reputations:
    Well traditionalism aside the one good thing I can see about this is that it opens up more chances for bed ridden kids (in say hospitals) to meet Santa without the hospital or whoever cares for them having to find someone.

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I think it's cool. Ho Ho Ho!

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  6. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    I think it's not cool and a bad idea.

As I have been noticing, the internet is "stealing" our traditions, the costumes, the good old times... The times where we go outside with our family, go to "Santa's village" in malls or other places, and take pictures with them... It steals our Christmas spirit. It just makes us sit and watch a monitor. It replaces real contact. And real contact is essential for everyone, SPECIALLY children.

It makes me sad, really. I remember Doraemon, Kids Next Door, and such cartoons, and I see today's cartoons, and they make me puke. We are turning into an era where unfortunately, the internet is replacing EVERYTHING. It's replacing contact, face-to-face meetings, and alike. It's very sad, very very sad.

I actually sometimes wished that there was no internet, no phones... I would rather live in a not so advanced world where everyone is in constant contact, meeting each other, talking, having fun, instead of talking through facebook on a wooden chair.

Of course the internet has its benefits, but the good old traditions and costumes and almost extinguished. And that is extremely sad.

7. Steven

Steven God Amongst Mere Mortals

Reputations:
    I didn't read your wall of text but, man, why the hate? I don't like any christian decorations and don't like people bragging about their holidays but you don't see me complaining in public or being a party pooper.

8. Melody

Reputations:
    Well I think of it more on an efficiency level.

From what I read, the "e-Santa" will be available for a longer period of time than the "real Santa" so it can accommodate more families' schedules. Also, since it's online they can hire 5 Santas with no "assistants" and service many people at the same time. And if you'd read the article, you'd know that the mall still has weekly Santas coming in to read books with the kids with the option of sitting on his lap if you want. They just removed sessions completely dedicated to photo taking.

And of course none of the other malls the company owns have removed their Santa meetings.

Like I said, the whole concept of online Santa if used right could benefit people who cannot reach the "real Santa" in a mall. As it stands there's still the option of meeting a real Santa so I don't think we're at the stage of "the internet is replacing human contact" yet.

It's experimental at this stage so we'll see how it goes :p

9. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    That is very true nonetheless. But the photography sessions (IMO) is what is important. We go with our parents, and take pictures with Santa, so that 20 years later, we remember the good times we had, and not the times where we just sat on the PC for hours to just "look" at Santa ;)

If you actually "read" my WoT, which isn't even long, you'd see that I'm not hating towards no one or anything. Then I'll make a TL;DR versions just for you :

TL;DR - Technology and internet are stealing our good traditions and old costumes.

10. Amnesiac

Amnesiac 404

Reputations:
    I agree with this and a lot of what else you said so much. So damn much.

I'd rep you, but I need to spread a little lovin' around first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.