The Interesting Facts Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Melody, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Your political bias is showing here in your dislike to the WaPo. They're right on the other side of the x axis from the Wall Street Journal and that seems just right to me. Huff Post is on the boarder of the op/ed into the unfair persuasion section which seems accurate to me.

Cali if forth in economic ranking. While not dismissing the list, having Iowa and Minnesota as one a two...well, 'nuf said. :eek2: I'll just say their factors aren't mine although less pollution and traffic would be nice.

2. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How so? I'm not at all basing this on the extent to which I agree or not, it's a matter of the ridiculousness of the narrative.

Your #4 over my #5 doesn't seem like enough to make up for the pasting we give you in almost every other category. Although, I'd switch weather in heartbeat. You can keep whatever's obviously tainting the water out there. :vbbiggrin:

3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:

Florida is the most sinful state in the U.S.

Although I might want to move to Florida now after knowing this. ;)

Interesting. When I'm reading from a new organization that leans left or right, I assume their emphasis is on keeping the other side 'in check' sort of speak, and are not as aggressive in reporting things negative toward their 'side'. I'd prefer this not to be and wish their reporting would be complete. However, so long as their reporting is factually accurate, I can get my news from multiple sites and be good with it. I find their (WaPo) reporting usually fair and accurate, albeit with a left lean. Same goes for the Wall Street Journal on the right.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    radji and Gabrielgvs like this.
  4. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    ***may not be appropriate for all audiences***

[​IMG]

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Broken linky.

6. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    upload_2018-3-14_15-9-8.png

Ichinenjuu and Fishon like this.
  7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Apparently, she claims to be pansexual.

[​IMG]

Had to look the word up, but thought to myself she looks like one without knowing what it meant.

Bisexuality implies that there are only two genders, that being male and female. Pansexuality, on the other hand, implies that there are more than two genders.

Who knew? :vbeek: I'm guessing you get a little more attention this way than just call yourself bisexual. :vbthumbsup:

8. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I just filed it as "Not picky" and left it at that.

Convel and Fishon like this.
  9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  10. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Time for a fun word fact:

The root "cyber-" and the word "govern" are etymologically related.

"Cyber" is the Ancient Greek word for "personal computer", right? Not quite :p

The word govern is from the Latin verb gubernō, which meant "to steer" or "to pilot a ship", and by metaphorical extension, to manage, to govern. The Latin verb is a borrowing of the Greek kybernáō, meaning the same thing, "to steer". The Greek root gave us the word "cybernetics" (from kybernētikos, meaning "good at steering/piloting"), referring to control and communication systems. This came to be applied specifically to control by technology, and thus "cyber-" became a prefix in its own right meaning "computer". Thus "cyber-" and "govern" are doublets, two different words from the same original root.

hmscott, radji, Fishon and 1 other person like this.