The Interesting Facts Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Melody, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    Share some random facts/statistics you find interesting and discuss them with your fellow NBRers! :D

Sources are optional but appreciated ;)

I'll start...

- The QWERTY keyboard layout was invented to confuse people. Back when typewriters first came out in the early 1800s, the letters were arranged alphabetically. However, due to the easy logic behind the placement, secretaries would often type too fast, which would jam the mechanisms of keys often used. The QWERTY system was proposed to remedy this issue by placing the letters most often used far away from each other as well as diminish typing speed so as to avoid jamming them together.

Source: Typewriters - History of Typing and Qwerty Keyboards

- Quebec, Canada is one of the few places in the world where Pepsi is more popular than Coke by a large margin. This is due to Pepsi's massive advertising campaign from the 70's where they played on the whole "nationality" aspect (aka "we are different" and "over here we drink Pepsi"), using local [French] celebrities as well as emphasizing how being different is good. This prompted other companies to follow suit, making Quebec specific advertisements (with local people instead of Hollywood stars) to try and expand their market share.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/business/media/31adco.html?_r=0

- A "jiffy"(as in "be back in a jiffy") was actually a unit of time at one point. It was proposed to denote the time it takes light to travel one centimeter (approximately 33.3564 picoseconds)

Source: Jiffy (time) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's increase our random and slightly pointless knowledge for fun! :D

2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  3. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Nice thread OP.
    It would be a shame if some jerks would post some BS...

Here's one for ye - cake is a lie.

4. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
  5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Ah, but the reward lies in the journey.

See, we can fix the doings of this malcontent. :mad::D

6. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Billiard balls in the early 20th century could partly explode. When they were looking for a replacement for Ivory, Hyatt made some balls from nitrocellulose (~11% nitrogen IIRC). Nitrocellulose with higher Nitrogen content >12% is used in propellants and is rather unstable when dry. Process control being what it was back then resulted in not so even nitrogen content in the billard balls and hitting them could cause some small detonations.
    Inventing the 19th Century: 100 Inventions That Shaped the Victorian Age ... - Stephen Van Dulken - Google Books

On a related note, celluloid which is low nitrogen content NC plasticized by camphor was also a commonly used polymer at some point and was replaced by the polymers we have today in part because of it's flammability.

Here's one that Convel sent me on steam a while ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMkYlIA7mgw

7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Zachary Quinto had such a hard time training his hand to make the Vulcan salute for the latest Star Trek movie director J.J. Abrams had to glue his fingers together.

Quinto's Fingers Glued For Star Trek Salute

I've worked in every job position imaginable in the food service industry, but never fast food.

8. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    Would this be related to http://forum.notebookreview.com/member.php?u=261866 's signature ?
    Who has the longest undefeated streak in professional wrestling history?
    Lou Thesz had run up a streak of 936 consecutive wins without a loss (not including draws) before losing in 1955. Thanks for using ChaCha!
    Fishon were you there and who beat him?:elvis:

AND This year the Phila. Sillies do not have 1 player with more walks than strikeouts.

9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Not a wrestling fan, but I just watched a tape of him and that old school stuff is real sport and quite interesting. Wiki says Gene Kiniski dethroned him. Hey, if you keep pickin' on me I'll have to see you in the ring. :p

<iframe width='420' height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WvufFwdqMzg" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michael Buffer and the phrase 'Lets get ready to rumble'. This guy gets paid five million a gig every time he introduces a fight. He's earned $400M from licensing and the trademark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Buffer#Trademark

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  10. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    the fastest animal in the world @over 200+ mph -- the Peregrine Falcon. i have a special "bond" with this fellow because i remember doing an endangered species project on it, way back in elementary. i recently saw it's kick butt-ness, again, on the North America series that airs on the Discovery Channel. very lovely and fascinating bird of prey.

<iframe width='560' height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/legzXQlFNjs" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

i always found this fact to be pretty interesting as well: Green is the color used for night vision goggles because the human eye is most sensitive and able to distinguish the most shades in that colour.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015