The "I use my laptop only as a desktop" cooling mod.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by sighie, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You guys are both inventive and innovative to get the 9570 to cool, and fair play to you all, but IMHO all this is all on Dell to make this better. Not pushing this back to them may only prolong the issues and future models are just as bad.

They should be able to make a product that works as described, is able to cool itself properly and doesn't have to get normal users to have to install software and make physical changes to get it to run properly.

Vote with your £'s or $'s, if its not up to scratch, send the baby back - I did. Ok I'm still sat here on an old laptop but my £'s are there in the bank and if a decent upgrade appeears I'm jump on it like a tramp on a bag of chips.

Perhaps Dell should employ a few of you from this forum, and I'd wager we'd have a far better machine in a very short space of time.

2. sighie

sighie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im not sure how you get it makes no sense. Space is limited. If you have both blowing in, there would be no exhaust. This takes up 90% of the intake 'vents' Creating a constant flow is much better as both fans 'assist' each other vs both fans trying to blow air into a space with no exhaust.

3. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    well, it's not like the chassis is an airtight enclosure. the air will creep out.
    Not sure if it will be better than what you already have.

Anyway, I appreciate your "ghetto" fix.
    It would be interesting to see if simply removing the black insulant blocking the grill and using a cooling mat with focused fans will do the job as well.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2S10HY/ref=twister_B01D4MJI26?th=1

4. antik

antik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Schmoo2k likes this.
  5. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There's a copper sheet below that insulant, the one iunlock recycled as VRM "fin surface". Not sure how much function it has in the default (poorly functional) thermal design, but it may happen to be worse without it. I mean it looks like someone initially thought to have open grille but later thought of placing the copper sheet over it...

With big fans I guess the placement likely doesn't matter so much. But if trying to cool the VRMs with a little bit of air redirected from the internal vents the way iunlock did, directing the airflow is likely important.

6. J99

J99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You're likely seeing Power Throttling and lower temperatures because Intel DTFP thinks your using your laptop on your lap. Therefore you are also seeing decreased performance.

I have observed about a 4-6 degree drop in average CPU temperature in DTFP A00 with the rear lifted (compared to on the desk), and maintaining 56w PL1 when running Prime95. If I have DTFP A01 installed and the rear lifted, running prime95, i cannot maintain 56w and the PL1 will reduce, to about 40w or what is necessary to maintain temperatures of around 80c.

" The Dynamic Power Mode Policy can therefore, adapt to the notebook's usage. If the system is docked, the policy can set a higher temperature limit. Similarly, if the system is hand-held or worn, the policy can set a lower limit in real-time. Thus, maximum performance within the dynamically adjusted power limit can be provided. "#

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-...-policies-across-its-XPS-lineup.247462.0.html "

7. htaige

htaige Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Another potential solution to the temperature issues you're getting with the i9 is to get a custom 9570 heatsink with 4 heat pipes and copper fins off taobao for around 30 USD

pressing likes this.
  8. J99

J99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This sounds interesting, has anyone posted about this? fitting, benchmark comparison ect

9. htaige

htaige Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm posting about it in the thread titled
    Dell XPS 9560 VRM Thermal Insanity As Seen Through FLIR by republicofsam

J99 likes this.
  10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Instead of hacking the crap out of your laptop, on a hackjob that will probably do no real justice to what you are trying to do. Why not just sell the damn thing and buy/build a desktop system and have something that can blast full power for hours and hours? Seems like a silly thing you did.

J99 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.