The HP Laptop Out-Of-The-Box Guide 2.0 for Windows 7

Discussion in 'HP' started by timtravel42, Nov 7, 2009.

?

Did this guide help you?

1. Yes

322 vote(s)
    94.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Joe H.

Joe H. Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I have a question. After downloading win 7 from digitalriver do I need to edit the ei.cfg file and change RETAIL to OEM?

2. TryAgain

TryAgain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for this guide it helped me a bunch

3. lsheldon

lsheldon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. jmontoya21

jmontoya21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there a way to keep the Adobe Photoshop Elements & Adobe Premiere Elements bundled with the new HP Envy Laptops if i follow this guide? I know there's a way to get the activation numbers with some programs but im not sure
    Sorry if this has been answered before.

5. jmontoya21

jmontoya21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Guys how many times can i perform the fresh install on the same computer i think i failed to format all of the hard drive and may have a partition left in there, i have yet to re activate the fresh install.

thanks in advance

6. Pobthiti

Pobthiti Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wanted to say thank you :) very helpful!

7. dpg123

dpg123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I order my first HP last week, envy 17t-32xx, and I have come across this thread. Post 1 seems pretty straight forward but is it still valid being a few years old? My thoughts are to make my recover disk when I get it in (ship July 25th) and then from there I have come to guys for info. It sounds like it will be very beneficial to do a clean install of win7 after the recover/swsetup disks and maybe downloading new drivers to a usb. I already have win7 home premium 64 disk from where I upgraded my desktop a while back, can I use that or do I need to download a copy of win7?

8. bigmit37

bigmit37 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm having trouble installing a fresh Windows 7 on HP Dv7000 series.
    I downloaded a Win 7 Home Premium ISO from My Digital Life.
    I used the eicfg program and tried it without the eicfg program as well.

At the end of installation I get an error message, something along the lines of, "this version of windows doesn't configure correctly with your hardware".

I checked the bottom of the laptop and I have a Windows 7 Home Premium key.
    When I installed, I checked the windows 7 Home Premium box, so I don't think I'm making that mistake.

Thank you any suggestions.

EDIT: I was installing Windows 7 without the service pack. After finding a disc with Service pack 1, I was able to install Windows 7 with no problem.

9. Breelynne

Breelynne Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, just a question, hope someone sees this. I have a HP DV7 Quad Edition, Windows 7 Professional. I was wondering if all these steps still apply? Of course I have the finger print feature and bloatware. Are all of these steps still valid, such a the drivers on C: ? I'dlike to set it up today and need some help. Thanks so much for any feedback.

10. Emig5m

Emig5m Newbie

Reputations:
    I kinda doubt I'd notice much of a performance gain by doing a clean install at this point because I went the extra steps by disabling any unneeded startup services and even unneeded tasks in the task scheduler (and even in Msconfig, run and runonce in the registry, and hidden devices in the device manager, etc). Out of the box it had 70+ background processes on bootup and I have it down to 45 now without losing any noticeable functionality. System boots and feels twice as snappy as it did out of the box so I think a clean install wouldn't be very beneficial and might even be a tad slower after doing my usual OS tweaks.

But if at some point I do decide to clean install I need to be for certain if...

-I can use my 'upgrade' Home Premium digital download copy from MS of Windows 7. My Laptop is also Win7 Home Premium but I assume it's an OEM copy. Is a Home Premium upgrade ISO from MS a universal copy of Home Premium depending on what Home Premium key you enter during the install (OEM, Retail, Upgrade, etc?) If not, would the ei.cfg utility work here?