The HP Laptop Out-Of-The-Box Guide 2.0 for Windows 7

Discussion in 'HP' started by timtravel42, Nov 7, 2009.

?

Did this guide help you?

1. Yes

322 vote(s)
    94.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    5.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timtravel42

timtravel42 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    are you sure that you're booting from an HP recovery disc? It sounds like you are booting from a windows disc.

2. njnoob

njnoob Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I recently received my new hp laptop and it came with 3 discs, labeled "System recovery dvd - windows 7 recovery media for windows 7 products (disc 1 of 2)", the same thing labeled disc 2 of 2, and a third labeled "Application and driver recovery DVD". My question is do I still need to follow step one or are those recovery discs the same as the ones that came with my laptop? Also do I need to back up the SwSetup folder or is that the same as the "application and driver recovery dvd" that came with my laptop? Thanks for any responses and a big thanks to those who contributed to making this awesome thread.

3. njnoob

njnoob Newbie

Reputations:
    Just read through the majority of the thread and saw my question was already answered on page 5...they are the same recovery CDs. I burned the swsetup files to a separate disc though as I'm still unsure if they are the same as the application and driver recovery dvd.

4. timtravel42

timtravel42 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    the application and driver recovery dvd contains the same software as the SwSetup folder

5. zero7404

zero7404 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    just use clonezilla to back up your disks/partitions onto an external drive. once you achieve a clean install you like, create the image.

i back up 42 gb in about 10 mins. i can bring it all back in about the same time in the event my installation goes south ...

6. luftschiff

luftschiff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A quick question, can i make my recovery disks while doing other stuff, like watching and downloading movies..?

7. calvin-c

calvin-c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It might be time to update the list of bloatware. I just purchased a 2nd dv7 for my wife, from HP Store, and found many changes in it. Forgot to make a list of course, sorry about that, the new items I remember are Office 2010 Starter vs. both Works & the Trial, the Bing Bar, Hulu Desktop, DVB TV Tuner (which must be something different from the driver as this one doesn't have a TV Tuner-if I understand what I've read correctly this is a receiver for European TV that's broadcast via the Internet? Not really sure, but I deleted it as we don't watch TV on the laptop), and several items pertaining to movies. Two, at least, were related to CinemaNow from Roxio and another might have been-something like the MediaSmart MoviePack Themes? Oh, and there was Times Reader which was disabled when I removed Adobe AIR-no problem for me but that should be noted under advice re: Adobe AIR.

Anyway, thought I'd mention that while the guide is still excellent the bloatware list now appears to be out of date. Thanks.

8. rustum

rustum Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Do i need to keep HP mediasmart applications. Particularly movie themes and music/photo/video ones are taking 400MB each. Do we also need Microsoft SQL server 2005 compact edition. These programs came with factory installed. Looks like Microsoft works is not free. I have uninstalled without noticing it.

9. Ady_Digital

Ady_Digital Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did anyone try the clean Win7 installation on a Virtual Machine?
    I am trying to do this but I am unable to activate the windows!!
    Following are the steps that I followed:

- Downloaded the ISO (Win 7 x64 English)
    - Removed the ei.cfg file using the utilitiy
    - Created a backup of my Win7 x64 Home Premium, using ABRBeta
    - Created a virtual machine using VMware Workstation 7.1 and installed the windows from ISO file. Selected Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
    - Installed fine, booted and under System properties appeared 30 days for activation.
    - Ran the ABRBeta "activation_restore"
    - Checked System properties again and found "Activation Status Not Available" and "Product ID: Not Available"
    - Rebooted the system and got a popup message "This copy of Windows is not geniune" etc etc........... same message appearing on my desktop background!!!!

Am I doing anything wrong? Any help would be appreaciated

10. nikeseven

nikeseven Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since the VM will appear to have different hardware it probably won't activate correct without a call to Microsoft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.