The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. loafer987

loafer987 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh no! They ground off the part of the heatsink that makes contact with the power components at the end of the board. Now you will have to use 5mm or so pads to make those parts make contact. The little black chips at the top of the card need to be cooled or the card will fail prematurely. Use the pictures from my thread to see how I modified my heatsinks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Striker1234 likes this.
  2. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh! You are right!

Another issue, is like the fan is not workin....

Is there a way you can share your VBIOS so I can flash this card with it?

Maybe this solve the issues, or do you think Prema could mod the VBIOS and fix it?

3. Striker1234

Reputations:
    FYI, All BIOS and Windows are set on UEFI

4. loafer987

loafer987 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My vbios is msi and at the moment, last I checked there was no flash utility available to consumers. Prema seems to be staying out of the mxm situation at the moment and the msi forum modder I asked said he isn't aware of any available options for the mxm 1070 cards yet.
    The gpu fans in the alienware 17 r1 Ranger (which I believe is the laptop you have, same as mine) have terrible fan control tables. My fans don't even spin up until 55*C and don't hit full speed until 75*C. And the stock fans are so low flow that you may never hear them over the cpu. I upgraded my fan to the m17x r3 gpu fan THPDJ part number. Don't quote me on that part number but I believe it's close. It's 10.2 cfm or so and much much better than the stock fan.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

EDIT: Put in the proper fan part number.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Ashtrix likes this.
  5. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    At the moment Pascal will only flash signed official vBIOS. You could try the MSI vBIOS, it should flash no problem with NVFLASH since both are 1070 MXM, but there is no guarantee it would work since the cards are not the same. It's possible it would work and get the display working,it's also possible it won't and the card would be bricked until you could flash back. My guess is that you don't have a display because the card was pulled from a mini pc that was always going to use an external display.

If you want my MSI vBIOS I will share it with you.

Striker1234 and Ashtrix like this.
  6. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    @Striker1234 First take the backup of the vBIOS of that card and maybe we shouldn't try to cross flash it because the manufacturer is not "MSI" for that card as you said it was "Pcpartner". A wrong flash making it go brick would render it useless and irreversible bad flash is really a giant road block not worth the hassle.

As a caution need to talk with one who's expert in this and take it in small steps - Test the card's max clocks and gaming performance, getting the proper driver working for it, benchmarking and then compare it with the other 1070 versions - MSI 1070N / Clevo 1070 Desktop 1070 GTX GPU, Also look out for throttling in specific cases, measure the Temperature deltas, TDP, Power pull in the specific cases (Firestrike, 3DM11, Heaven, AAA games) in the mean time since it's booting, getting detected properly over external display outputs.

Maybe @Prema could chime in if he's free, Woodz should know about the vBIOS also.

7. Striker1234

Reputations:
    Hello!

At the moment I could not perform any benchmark, the fan for the video card is not working, but it works with the 970M, I also use hwinfo64 and when the 1070 is installed, the fan is not detected.

I'm thinking to use the same fan power supply of the processor and set the speed on max in order to perform the benchmarks...

What do you think?

8. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Posted my thoughts in the Alienware 17 subforum.

9. Striker1234

Reputations:
  10. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    be sure to include all details and the specific vbios in the OP of your thread :)

Sent from my Huawei Mate 8 NXT-AL10