The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. expresstyle

expresstyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes but rtx laptop gpu performance are not so crazy to bottleneck quad core cpus so easily. The only game that it’s very cpu demanding it’s CP2077. And with rtx on FPS goes down so less cpu utilisation. Bga laptop sucks they are becoming like consoles and seems that clevo is taking that way too

2. AdonaiDuma

AdonaiDuma Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you have maybe some high TDP bios for RTX4000, RTX5000?

3. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Come on now, you and I know both that quad core CPU's from that era are severely bottlenecking GTX 2070 and up, if you watch Hardware Unboxed videos even the 1070 is bottlenecked by quad core CPU's, its not just games using more and more cores its also the single core speed of older Intel CPU's specially from 2012 and 2015 are slower than what we got out today.

Its better to have a balanced system and just acknowledge the limitations of ancient laptops rather than just overbuilding one part.
    The reason I was interested in the RTX 3000 was simply because its got ray tracing but seeing how I cannot find it in a standard MXM format and the need to create a custom heatsink for the M17x R4 is way more time and effort I like to put into something this old.

I agree, BGA can **** itself, but I am a lot more on the move than I used to be, desktops did not make sense for me but I wanted one anyway I just found it to be more annoying than it was worth it, I would gone with legendary X170 Clevo but when a brand new BGA laptop usually goes for 2000 bucks and a RTX 3080 in Clevo MXM format will probably cost 1000 bucks anyway, I rather just buy a brand new BGA laptop and get a new CPU as the Clevo X170 will be limited to 11th gen desktop CPU's and those are not very impressive anyway, I mean they are on par with an APU from AMD, thats just sad and its still 14nm and a power hog.
    I also cannot understand why Clevo cannot make better chassis and keyboards, its always been my only issue with them, cheap plastic and horrible keyboards, they used to have good keyboards like 10 years ago, what happened?

Clamibot likes this.
  4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    It’s called cost cutting. 2005-2008 thinkpad T43-T61 keyboards and 2008-2012 Alienware M15x/M17x keyboards are may favorite in the industry.

Everybody trying to save a nickel on machines these days, even in supposedly boutique machines

5. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    I agree, 2 dollar cost cutting on a keyboard from great to trash scales up when you sell millions, but its such a shame when Tongfang can do it with mech keyboards on their laptops and yet still be price competitive with other trashy BGA machines.
    Asus has also upped their game quite a lot with their keyboards, I tested a few off them and they are really good for being the old membrane chiclet but that is at least something one would expect they charge Apple prices unless you can get it on sale.

I think Clevo should develop some kind of universal mount for keyboards for their next laptops and just let resellers stick whatever keyboard they feel like be it a cheapo standard Clevo one or a mech keyboard. Better to let them decide what goes into the chassis than Clevo as they seem to have no clue about comfort and usability, I still have nightmare about P150 keyboard used to give me cuts on my fingers cause I type so fast so I would cut myself on the razor sharp edges of the keys.

6. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tongfang does NOT have the marketing, personnel etc costs anywhere near any of those other companies so it's kind of a hard comparison. What sucks is that thin/light bga laptops keyboards are pretty hard to replace if at all. My favorite keyboards were the old precisions.

7. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Non standard RX 5700 mxm from Sonnet Breakaway Puck, ouch to my $900 USD. probably need to throw it on nicehash to recover some cost :/

As for this card possibly only the ASRock Deskmini can take it.

Attached Files:

thewizzard1 and SMGJohn like this.
  8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Do they have a signal output or are they just embedded boards?

9. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There are 1xDP, 1xHDMI, and 1x TB3 on the box. I don't have any laptop that can take this card so can't say for sure. There is RX 5700m vBIOS from Dell m51 on TPU though

10. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    Possible it can work through SG mode? I know some Chinese people installed embedded MXM cards in laptops before but only had them work through SG mode.