The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Clamibot

That 2060S core rotation is so weird. An issue MXM has is core power pins are in the bottom right corner, but power comes from the top of the card, making it difficult to efficiently get power to the core. That rotation just makes it worse.

2. long2905

long2905 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    been watching a lot of buildzoid clips lately which make me think i understand this somewhat, but not really :p

3. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is Clevo the only manufacturer of RTX 2000 MXM video cards? I've never seen so little stock on MXM cards as with this gen. And the price is so ridiculous that you can actually buy an entire second hand laptop with the same video card installed.

4. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, Clevo isn't the only manufacturer. MSI also makes their own Turing MXM cards, but in a screwed up form factor that looks nothing like they've made before, and in limited quantities.

I think the reason there's been so little stock of 2000 series MXM cards is because the Turing series wasn't that popular. I personally don't know anyone who bought a first gen RTX card, and it makes sense they didn't sell well compared to previous generations. They offered a horrible price to performance ratio, and the performance uplift wasn't significant enough over Pascal.

I feel that the only thing the RTX cores did was give Nvidia an excuse to raise the prices of their cards to ridiculous levels.

Semmy likes this.
  5. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How I miss the good old days when you could interchange MSI/Clevo/Dell MXM video cards.

Does that one fit on Clevo?

@tomX likes this.
  7. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    MSI made, they ditched MXM laptops with the GT75 9th gen, now its only GT76 with soldered GPU and socketed CPU..

8. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Good find on the Aetina but it's not proper 3.0b, the screw holes look fine but the memory layout and VRM components are entirely different and looks like there are some components at the back which might need thermal pads too, it will need a new heatsink.

9. kothletino

kothletino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Many of the girls look fine, but sooner or later you'll find that sth is just not fitting.
    In this case the position of the holes is just not right.

Ashtrix likes this.
  10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol inappropriate but actually funny...any news on rtx 3080 being mxm with clevo