The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The only pascal card that work in the M6700 are the Quadro P3000, the P4000 and the P5000.
    And also pascal card can't output LVDS (analog) signal by themself, they need optimus or a direct eDP (numeric) lcd to output video

3. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've noticed in my many teardowns of this that it does have the edp connector on the board so I'm guessing it's just a matter of getting an edp screen then? Or is it possible to just use the LVDS with optimus enabled? Seems pretty easy in that case apart from maybe heatsink modding.

4. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    You are stuck with quadro, but yeah optimus needed for LVDS scren and optimus disabled (you can't activate it) with eDP screen, no heatsink mod needed on the M6700

5. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nope, M6700 doesn't work with Pascal properly due to BIOS issues. a WX7100 should in theory, work fine with a eDP screen (non Enduro, it isnt supported on the M6700)

6. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    M6700 work with quadro pascal card, I got a P4000 in mine, some other user got a P5000 in their, the only card not tested on the M6700 is the P3000 but since it's vbios is very similar to the P5000 and the fact it work on a M6800 (same bios issues) made me think it should work too on the M6700 :)

I think normal pascal GPU should work in the M6700 too, if I'm running a "not working on M6700" P4000 vbios on my P4000, the M6700 display nothing before windows (and the nvidia driver preinstalled) initialize the card (UEFI boot only), after the card was initialized, it works as nothing wrong :)

7. tk&d

tk&d Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    "...Dell says having moved away from the MXM format they didn't have any limitations which is a nice joke since Dell Precision systems max out at P4200 DGFF."
    Your statement is not correct.
    Yes, the Dell Precision P5200 DGFF exists and here is an eBay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Dell-P...130809?hash=item262ec09739:g:pesAAOSwlr1d-Mkf

SMGJohn likes this.
  8. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1300 for what essentially is a slower 1080, LOL
    This is why I escaped to desktop when I saw the price for MXM 1060 was the same as desktop 1070 and Vega 56 with 25% VAT.
    BGA crap has also skyrocket in price because of nVidia and Intel dominance they can just charge whatever they want for their parts.
    Hopefully this changes this year.

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

Ashtrix and M18x-oldie like this.
  9. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Also we know the DGFF in Area 51M is prone to failure. It's not MXM at all, it's a complete proprietary module. Z Book, MSI GT75 BGA even the mutated Zotac all use MXM at the very least. This won't work with any machine except Dell and that too the BIOS must allow all kinds of checks along with EC, just look that GPU board has I/O, on top it's not going to fit in Area 51M, the dimensions are entirely different. MXM 1070 Dell (1070 Core on a Quadro board with removed memory iirc) which is the last normal GPU is at $500+ more than a damn 2060 Super / 2070 itself is too much. Here, $1000+ for a 2080 Kit, almost a 2080Ti price.

I really wonder who is going to buy such overpriced kits. This DGFF is a dead weight in secondary market as well just like those MSI 1080 mutations, Clevo cards also started using some custom Pin on the GPUs causing a havok again to upgrade. Whereas a 780M has SLI, 980M also has SLI and works with many machines. A 1070N MSI works in Clevo and Alienware with dremel modding. Above 1070 Dell works in Clevo, Precision, HP and Alienware maybe in MSI too ?

A simple mxm3.0b format with the universal compatibility and SLI would have been a boon to many people and even these OEMs (Dell and MSI build them as we know) they could sell them a lot. Unless and until people stop buying those overpriced BGA laptops and mutated MXM laptops without any standards it's not going to change.

Honestly I feel sorry for the DGFF owners it's unreliable, too expensive which is even more than MXM which has been overpriced always.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    M18x-oldie, Papusan and SMGJohn like this.
  10. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    DGFF isn't the issue, the reason the GPU's where failing was due to the VRM setup and the phases sourced, the issues have been mostly fixed, however there are currently 3 different DGFF form factors atm