The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you aren't complaining about the inability to move your desktop, you didn't need a laptop in the first place ......

2. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Moved to a relatively cheap MBP with a eGPU that's much faster than most of the setup's here while costing about the same amount. Lucky me that I'm afforded that luxury.

3. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does the eGPU not add bulk to that? I have yet to see a thin one apart from those older gen eGPU from China were you plugged the GPU into some questionable box and hooked that up to eSATA.

4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Pretty sure my Area-51m with 9900K + RTX 2080 is more portable than a Macbook pro +eGPU :D

Not to mention my internal display is 144Hz + G-Sync

Striker1234 and uugui shi like this.
  5. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To be fair his Mac is at least dual purpose, he can hook it up at home for gaming to his setup kind of like hooking a ThinkPad up to a dock, or he can take it with him and enjoy great battery life.
    It makes a lot of sense, I thought about it 10 years ago but back then getting eGPU's to work were nightmare and gaming laptops are too heavy, too expensive to upgrade, too much work so having just one computer to do it all is really hard, docking is the only way for it to be real you can even connect it to harddrive enclosures and get extra storage and what not.
    Its the best solution if you do a lot of customisation to your software and operating system and hate having to replicate it on your other machines.

6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    My ranger does it all for me. DD, Plex, writing etc etc.

My Thinkpad takes care of my battery life if I need it.

7. kingofswag187

Reputations:
    The eGPU that I do use is "fairly" bulky, but its about the size of a Wii U but about double the thickness. There are smaller soldered TB3 options such as Lenovo's 1050 ti dock that are all in one units that are extremely tiny. Of course the eGPU adds bulk to my setup, but less setup and overall cost than a similar high end workstation would have cost me.

8. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, I managed to boot my Dell M6700 with a Quadro P4000 using regular P4000 desktop vbios, I even tried P5000 vbios and the card works fine only after windows has booted with drivers installed (no optimus as I'm running an eDP panel), except boost frequencies remains the same as with the original P4000 mxm vbios. I DDU everything, I tried Quadro drivers using P4000 inf mod, I tried the same with P5000 inf mod and even if I use the P5000 vbios along with the P5000 inf mod, I'm still stuck at a low boost frequencies.
    If someone have got clue, please tell me :)

edit : I tried P5000 vbios which GPU-Z says should boost up to 1500+MHz but I was stuck at 1252MHz, I even modified the P5000 to match P4000 PCI ID but it change nothing.
    Maybe nvidia drivers initialise the P4000 with a vbios that isn't on the card ? like windows using newer intel cpu microcode without requiring a bios update ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    jaybee83, long2905 and SMGJohn like this.
  9. kingofswag187

Reputations:
    How did you get a 4K Panel working in the M6700? Can you make a thread about it?

10. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm working on it :)