The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes that is known to work but can cause issues with laptops that can’t supply more than 120w. The card can only pull so much before the laptop ec limits it...

That’s why power limit throttling is a problem. You can eliminate that problem by modifying the ec but that’s where you can kill the mosfets. Alienware are know to have all components JUST within spec unlike Clevo who go overkill and where mods actually do improve performance...

Ashtrix, jaybee83 and Papusan like this.
  2. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you for clarifying, I guess I will stick with the 120W version then, I guess its a price to pay for superior build quality over the Clevo ones.

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  3. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Yeah it’s better, I have that ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ mentality because those gpu vrms in the Alienware will die one day but by keeping within spec you shouldn’t need to worry. I did mod my msi gtx 1070 to 150w tdp once and that resulted in my Alienware 18 shutting down almost instantly after launching a game like pubg, limits are there for a reason, in dells case so there isn’t a complete meltdown of the vrms after reaching the thermal runaway point :D:D

hmscott and SMGJohn like this.
  4. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So we also need to upgrade the mosfet that control the power to the mxm port

5. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Yes you can also do that, but is it worth it?

6. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you know what chip to replace by what and you know how to replace it, I think it's probably worth it, it's basically "free performance"

7. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had tested different TDPs with my 1060 and an open vBIOS, up to 150w, in the m17x r4 my BIOS is stock A11.
    Result was, card was throttling worst when levels got above ~110w, but even below that it was running with decreased performance. The seller, me and some forum members then came to the conclusion that this MXM port is able to deliver about 115-120w max.
    Best results with the 1060 was ~85-90w, but I then stayed with stock 75w and reflashed the stock MSI vB, as it is my daily driver and I had just invested 500€ for my 1060. It was too risky for me to mess around with too high power levels :)

SMGJohn, CaerCadarn and hmscott like this.
  8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    There is another member here who has pushed 200w through the same mxm port. I don't know exactly how he did it but it's with a 1070 as well.

That being said i also experienced some weird power throttling on a card running 88w when I had a 1060 which is what ultimately led me to sell it and grab a 1070 which I was offered a good deal on.

loafer987 and M18x-oldie like this.
  9. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Hold My Vodka, I going to kill my GPU

Reputations:
    I noticed the same with my GTX 1060 if I push to far it's performance drops of a cliff. I have set mine on MSI GT72-6QD for upto 135w (Which I use for chasing benchmark numbers) but I normally cap it to 110w for everything else. Don't get me wrong GTX1060 is a great card, heck I see mine @110w bounce between 1983 to 2050mhz most of the time only a few games I have played I have seen it as low as 1787mhz.

But I agree each MXM slot and laptop VRM is different that's for sure.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

M18x-oldie likes this.
  10. dellienware owner

dellienware owner Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    May I get a link to a reputable seller for these cards.