The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. long2905

long2905 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    someone give him a RTX card and 3dmark to test

jaybee83 likes this.
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Nice, wonder if two can be used in SLI on a M18xR2 with external display LOL

Prema and jaybee83 like this.
  3. supernovastar

supernovastar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Hi dzpliu,

Were you able to purchase one of the 20 eGPUs made by 无畏级反潜舰 (aka (username on baidu), Fearless-class anti-submarine patrol vessel)?

It appears from what he was posting, the eGPU kit only works on a very limited number of laptops and the Clevo P570 and P870 are among those few compatible laptops.

If that MXM 3.0 connector with the shielded flexible cable is truly supporting PCIe 3.0 x8 speed, then I would like to buy one of his eGPU kits to test on one of my Clevos (P570WM3 and P870TM1).

Thanks.

jaybee83 likes this.
  4. Lifecast

Lifecast Newbie

Reputations:
    finally got my MXM 1060 into my Zbook 17, the mxm has the same size board but the chip layout above the memory is slightly different than the m1000 or m3000 layout so the heatsink needs a small dremeling to clear the chips. other than that it works great in my ZBook 17 G3. So 1060 is a Go for the Zbook 17 G3.

Zbook on ebay was $499 and the MXM was $300. Cost about $150 bit more than other 1060 laptops but the build quality is superior compared to other gaming laptops such as Nitro 7, Dell G3 and such. Worth the extra cost of GTX 1060 gaming laptop under $800.

5. dzpliu

dzpliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i was not able to get one. He was selling in batches, there were only 20 people who pre-ordered. He was selling PCIe 3.0 X16 version as well, but only 4 or 5 people interested.

update: MXM to PCIe 3.0 is going to be open source soon. maybe you guys can make your own next time.

update: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...yWpGm&id=599010631937&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    ssj92 and jaybee83 like this.
  6. mr007rm

mr007rm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. dzpliu

Reputations:
  8. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That adapter looks fun. They got it to run on a P170sm, so apparently it reports a fake temp to the EC too to avoid shutdown. That or they just quick took a screenshot before the system powered off. I'm also not seeing pictures of the eGPU actually rendering anything. The one screenshot could easily be the iGPU.

What'd really be cool is if they routed GPU DP outputs back into the mxm slot to run eDP and DP. Right now the adapter seems reliant on routing through integrated graphics, but I assume the card's output ports would work.

I'm impressed they got PCI-e 3.0 speeds to run over a cable that long. Getting 2.0 to work was difficult in my eGPU days.

Do they also have an mxm 2 adapter? I'm guessing not.

9. dzpliu

Reputations:
    ya, they used some self made board to mod the EC, clevo systems will not shutdown now.
    Heres the video of how they did it, but it is in chinese, but you can just look at what they are doing. https://www.bilibili.com/video/av55501875

10. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, there is an adapter to run MXM gpu on PCIE x16 ? like the one from eurocom but without video output and for cheap if possible ?
    I saw one but it's MXM on pcie x1