The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I already modded my 970m with the 6 mosfet configuration, I need to replace some caps too in order to have the "ultimate" mxm 3.0 board for maxwell, there is also some missing smd for the two empty ram chip but I will not populate these before having a 256bits core and 8 ram chip.
    I'm more concern about bios issues and for core swaping on pascal gpu (and their bios) :), the K4000M to full GK104 will be more like an experiment

Vasudev and t456 like this.
  2. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes you can upgrade the core. A vBIOS change should not be necessary. With older Kepler cores though you can also remove the laser cuts which disable core elements if you are very good at sanding.

If you are trying to solder a replacement core yourself, expect to kill several cards and cores before you figure out how to sometimes do it correctly.

Ashtrix, Vasudev, long2905 and 3 others like this.
  3. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You added the 3rd core power phase and verified that it is functioning?

Ashtrix and Arrrrbol like this.
  4. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    I didn't verified if it work, I only checked the resistance between the pad of a non populated one and a populated one and all of them were 0ohm so I solder them and not tested If they but I think the work.
    At first the card came with a two mosfet and one shorted, I replace the shorted one and it die in less than an hour after, so to be "safe" I replace the two original mofset then added four more (and by the time removed two for my K4000M), I also added one "R22" choke (the one I have at the moment was smaller than the other one, I need to replace it soon).
    But after you ask me that I start to wonder how the regulator can keep 6 of them at once ? maybe only two mosfet work on mine, how can I test it ? voltage measurement ?

Also I want to know more about the removal of the laser cut, I saw your post on techinferno but you give no more information about that, I have some GK104 card laying around (mostly not working tho)

t456 likes this.
  5. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The VRM can't directly drive 3 phases. The 3rd phase has a phase driver chip and receives a PWM signal from the VRM. In addition to the phase driver chip for phase 3 there are multiple jumpers that need to be added. The VRM's phase 3 PWM line is likely grounded out with a jumper on the 970m PCB to make it operate in 2 phase mode, and this will need to be removed.

I can send pictures later of a 680m chip with the laser cuts revealed.

t456 likes this.
  6. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Okay so, in order to have 3 working phase on my pcb I will need to populate these ?
    Do you have any good picture or schematics of this area ?

I saw this on ebay listing, if I'm right, the issue could be from mosfet (gpu and gddr5), or bios, or mosfet driver or the core itself or the ram chip ?
    One of them seems "reflowed" by looking at the color of the pcb :/
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Units-Nv...008633?hash=item4b61f53b39:g:sYsAAOSwlddcfo0i

Attached Files:

• 980m.jpg
      980m.jpg
      File size:
      139.1 KB
      Views:
    Vasudev likes this.
  7. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes that whole area you circled needs to be populated. The 970m also likely has an extra resistor near the core VRM which needs to be removed to activate the phase.

I don't think any of those cards were reflowed. The stickers would be curling and discolored if they were.

Vasudev, jaybee83 and Arrrrbol like this.