The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    In M18x R2 it may be possible to route the HDMI out signal back to the HDMI in since there are two separate ports. Alienware 18 used a single combo port. Perhaps POST with DP and then switch to HDMI trickery? Who knows, not me

2. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It should be possible in theory, with something like auto-signing into windows and the pressing the hotleys. I'll try a mDP to HDMI cable later today

3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Got the 1070 for my ranger, quite likely to be its final upgrade but I'll make it last.

VoodooChild, triturbo, dzpliu and 3 others like this.
  4. long2905

long2905 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    how much did you get it for?

5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    380 USD from a member here :) Sold my 1060 for 300 and immediately upgraded.

Its going to be a while before its all assembled, workin 70ish hours a week now so finding time to get it done is troublesome. Ill get it there though, Im more concerned about modding the CPU heatsink at this point.

long2905 likes this.
  6. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I first like to apologise for not producing results earlier but its better late than never and yes, WX 7100 / Rx 480 do work on 120Hz display in the Alienware M17x R4 in PEG mode.
    I especially like to apologise to TheReciever who wanted to install AMD in his ranger but I think 1070 is a better deal for you, it may be green but its a beefy card.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ning-on-120hz-edp-3d-display-it-works.828697/
    By utilising Virtual Display Adapter DisplayPort variant, it is now possible without editing EDID on 120Hz eDP displays to run on any AMD card on most Alienware laptops with brightness control and 3D capability which works pretty badly on AMD (best to turn it off)

The display I have used is the wrong type that wont fit in the Alienware but its the one I had on my hand to test, however I plan on getting the 120Hz 3D Samsung panel that Alienware offered for the M17x R4 as it should work, the Optronics display I used is an 8 bit panel 120Hz with 3D support, absolutely lovely panel, shame it does not fit.
    _SAM0731_SMALL.jpg

I hope it may help anyone who wishes to upgrade to lesser expensive alternatives, I have yet to overclock the WX 7100 but will do so when I receive my proper panel and you bet I will push that thing to the brink of destruction, with vanilla values the card scores a respectable 12 068 graphics score in 3DMark. Which is comparable to 1060 and all of this while only using 90W on the core, very respectable only 10 more than the 1060 in my experience. (What fool said the Rx 480 is power hungry?)
    From my previous experiments I know the WX 7100 can be pushed to the absolute limit safely to 150W or even more with good temperatures, extremely beefy over the top VRM, during my experimental run on the WX 7100 in PEG it only reached 56 degrees in 3DMark, absolutely fantastic plenty of headroom here to go on, I believe I can easily outperform even stock desktop Rx 480 with an overclock however you can only do this with Rx 480 vBIOS as the WX 7100 is too locked down, flashing it is extremely easy however, can EASILY be done in Windows without fear of bricking the card.

I hope this proved some help for those few people who are interested in using the best AMD MXM cards out there which are pretty mediocre compared to a 1070 however the Rx 480 is far more fun to play with overclocking and whatnot, truly a blast for any enthusiasts and thanks to its ridicules overbuilt VRM it wont explode anytime soon, like the Vega 56 they really went over their own heads with the VRM.

7. kothletino

kothletino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What do you think about compatibility with the MSI GT72VR(barebone)? The performance of my 1060 seems fine in fhd, but I'm really curious how this little AMD monster would work on my laptop.:rolleyes:

8. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Hold My Vodka, I going to kill my GPU

Reputations:
    You can simply upgrade to a GTX1070 if you need more power. Only the Two piece heatsink and MXM card will be needed, as the bios will have the support for it built in as a profile. After all the GTX 1070 version is the same even down to the power brick.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

9. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The WX 7100 is not too bad on Taobao that it might be worth a try in fact they seem to sell like hotcakes on eBay lately, I seen ton of them come and go quickly so if it wont work you can sell it just as quickly off on eBay and recoup lost profit.
    I am not familiar with MSI laptop BIOS so I am not sure if you are able to manually select it to boot via DisplayPort instead of internal display if you unlock it or not or whether it does this automatically, this is key to get this to work as the Virtual Display Adapter basically forces the internal display to run at 60Hz despite being 120 allowing compatibility with the Radeon card, never the less if your laptop supports eDP and uses the slim form factor you might as well just stick a 60Hz panel in there and have it work out the box without any modifications to it.

Arguably the main advantage of the WX 7100 is the fact it can be EASILY flashed to Rx 480 and EASILY overclocked way beyond the 1060 which requires surgical tools and a programmer duo to its locked down nature and the card is just as cool as a 1060 consumes only about 10W more topping off at 90W in my test before any overclock is done and can easily do 150W safely for an entire day (Yeah I really did test that)

I know that MSI laptops work in generally way better with AMD cards than Clevo does though duo to not relaying on a temperature reader to control the fan, worth a try you might be lucky to find the smaller brother of the WX 7100 the WX 4150 which is a MXM 3.0A card and costs half of what the WX 7100 does if you just want to test.

The 1070 is better but obviously way more expensive usually going three times the price of a WX 7100 on eBay, if you want cheaper and better performance than a 1060 the WX 7100 is a better choice as it can be overclocked through Radeon Settings quite easily.
    It may not reach 1070 level in fact you may only get at best 15% better than 1060 performance but its 15% better and 30% cheaper price.

dzpliu likes this.
  10. kothletino

kothletino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hacktrix2006 my laptop originally had 1070, but i change it for 1060 to get lower temperatures. About WX 7100 it is like hmm... as a hidden fan amd I'm curious, very curious.:rolleyes:

John, which memory brand does your card have?

Last edited: May 3, 2019