The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes that, typo

2. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some updates since then:

1: I finished the heatsink a long time ago. It's good for sustaining 180W if I don't mind the fan roaring at 100%. I typically cap the card at 150W to keep noise down. Letting it burn up to 230W is less than 10% of a performance increase. Mainly I need more airflow, but the GPU fan is restricted due to the GPU running into the fan shroud area.

2. Overall, running a modded P370em bios works better than running a modded P150em bios. Prema spent many hours trying to get dGPU eDP running right on a P150em bios, but there were always lack of image on boot, lack of keyboard brightness control, and GPU getting stuck in lower power state issues. A P370em bios resolves all of these issues, but with a stock bios the iGPU is powered off. Prema enabled the iGPU for me. The P370em bios does have acpi interrupt panic issues though if both Nvidia and Intel drivers are enabled, but I only ever need the iGPU for external ports, which is rare, so I typically have its driver disabled.

If you have a P1xxem system don't go flashing a P370em bios hoping it will help you somehow. You'll just get a black screen and need to blindflash back. Also I think the EC code is incompatible and will brick. The 2nd GPU fan signal on the 370 is a system reset signal on the 1xx. I did not flash the P370em EC code.

jaybee83, dzpliu, Ashtrix and 5 others like this.
  4. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What's the origin of the lack of brightness control issue? I tried all the registry edits I could find without any success for both my old P870DM and its replacement China special 4K panel, and my 1070 SLI P370EM with 120hz eDP panel

5. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For the EM series brightness control is generated by the PCH, and EM3 it comes from the dGPU. I don't know why Clevo did this. If I use the PCH source I can change brightness until windows loads. If I use the dGPU source I can change brightness once the Nvidia driver loads in windows 10, but not before. Maybe if I used the 370 EC it would work before, too, idk.

With the 150 bios the win10 registry would need to be modified to have slider brightness control. In win7 I had no control. With the 370 bios brightness control works in both win10 and win7 automatically.

I'm thinking with your P370 system that you originally had lvds, then got an eDP panel, but did not switch the motherboard jumper for dGPU brightness control. Does brightness control work during boot prior to windows loading?

As for the p870dm I don't know what the issue could be.

bennyg likes this.
  6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes p370 was lvds, now edp. Never tried it in bios. Is this jumper in the service manual?

7. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes it's in the service manual. I'll send you their location in PM.

bennyg likes this.
  8. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Aroc likes this.
  9. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its going to take some clever tricks to fit the die within MXM 3.0B or even MXM 3.1B specs as RTX dies are huge.

10. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    I was talking about gtx1xxx clevo mxm 3.0 cards. RTX cards should require a new gpu HS because the gpu die and gddr6 are thicker

Ashtrix, Aroc and hacktrix2006 like this.