The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Xenforo needs emoticon reactions, a "like" for that post is ambiguous.

In this case; :vomit:

I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that board space saving would see bga soldered gpu/hbm to thin'n'bendys and not as mxm due to its lower motherboard area requirement. Until Vega's innately horrible power consumption was revealed anyway, that must be downclocked and undervolted pretty heavily.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Papusan likes this.
  2. poprostujakub

poprostujakub Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Vega has a pretty good perf/watt, but AMD had to set a high clocks and voltages to be able to fight Pascals. In power save mode Vega loses a few percent of its performance but power consumption drops by 20-30%.

3. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for proving me wrong I was actually looking for a picture of its guts, shame though the Vega 56 is a good performer once you tweak it a little in the control panel love mine on the desktop but I was shocked to see them putting it in a laptop, RIP once that thing starts to spit some heat on that soldering work probably last 2 years at best of heavy use.

4. asphaltkiller

asphaltkiller Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi lads I own a GT7S-6QE it comes with a GTX 980M 4GB g-sync.... it just shorted....
    two main questions for you pros:
    1/ is it possible to identify the faulty component on the GTX980M ( i got a hot air soldering station) and how?
    2: I plan to buy a 1060 from msi (MS-1W0U1) with g-sync, will i be able to keep g-sync functionnality with a MSI g-sync card?

Many many thanks in advance lads