The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. You cannot flash vBIOS on the fly like with Maxwell and earlier, you will need a hardware programmer. I find this to be extremely annoying.

2. You can make TGP whatever you like but if you don't have the supporting hardware you WILL fry components. It was never Gecube's fault. AFAIK we don't have an original copy of a Gecube 1070 firmware, they were all sold pre-flashed from different vendors with Clevo or MSI 1070 vBIOS, both of which were higher TGP rated and were burned out cards before adjustment to a lower rating. Both the MSI and Clevo 1070s have similar electric design, different physical layouts. Not the case with the Gecube 1070, a very different electrical setup. No way was the Gecube "Eurocom" 1070 lowered down to 90W for the M15x (which doesn't even support pascal), it was lowered to 90W-115W to stop burning out cards and stop the flood of RMAs from people trying to run them at 125W-150W+. The closest thing we can get to a "Gecube" 1070 vBIOS is probably the Zotac 1070MXM vBIOS since that card is also made by Gecube and is identical in design, and that was a 90W TGP rating.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The one of a kind 1070SLI retrofit frankenrig is stuck on 375.70

The retail (ish) P870DM3 1080SLI is not

3. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    yup, I agree.

4. woodzstack

Reputations:
    it's not really about the cooling either, something with the MXM slots, not all cards are exactly the same, some pull more amps some more voltage , etc along different pins, we had to test what worked, and that worked best in testing. Cooling was another factor, less heat the better.

Ashtrix, bennyg and jaybee83 like this.
  5. woodzstack

Reputations:
    don;t forget the two tiny coils near the GPU die, you can not see it, in all the context but they stick out more then say they do on the P5000 and the 980M too, and some heatsink have to make room for that, just incase anyone reads this and thinks of upgrading, there are plenty of nice new heatsinks out there, but many people forget to mod and make room for these components. Even the 1060N has those and in some cases, like with Alienware's need the heatsinks to make room for them. There's no heatsink your gonna find on ebay even that has the mods made for those two tiny components. I keep telling the sellers I fidn of various heatsinks, to add it, but atlas I've been doing plenty of the modding my self just so customers do not have to, but anyone can do it, if they have the simple dremel tool or something better.

triturbo and jaybee83 like this.
  6. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    What he says!

I got Eurocon the 90W vBIOS factory version to prevent the fallout of burned MOSFETs
    (At least these cards have the 3 missing ones in place unlike the original zotac/gecube).
    Their supplier shipped the 90W cards already with MSI 115W vBIOS...

Ashtrix, woodzstack, triturbo and 5 others like this.
  7. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So pretty much all of @jaybee83 points are now moot. The eurocom 1070 isn't even worth the asking price for an intentionally gimped card because of poor quality parts, incompatible vBIOS and board design. Yes, the MSI 1070 would be the best upgradable option for older computers, but your chassis and board design/layout doesn't allow it.

You could TDP mod the 1060 to run at desktop TDP and you'd still get better performance than the 980M that won't break the card.

Sent from my Honor View 10 using Tapatalk

8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    they were never moot points, the thing i repeatedly kept asking for is more hard information from reputable sources such as @Prema and @woodzstack ;) imagine if someone like me lacks proper info even though im scouring the forums and web in general on a daily basis, what would pop in users think about this, trying to decide on an upgrade path? and repeating over and over and oooover how super and awesome MSI cards are doesnt really help in this regard :D

in any case, thanks for the additional input guys! this pushes me more and more towards the quadro p5000. no heatsink mods necessary, core oc is doable and maybe even vram oc with a vbios mod down the line. plus, looking at FS graphics scores at stock, id get a healthy 60% boost over my 980M, with the eurocom card actually sporting similar numbers. so makes more sense to save on the second heatsink cost (and transfer the funds towards the pricier P5000) and be assured that the PCB and components are of high quality. and those 16 gb vram surely cant hurt either :D

btw @Prema @woodzstack do you guys know if dell/HP/clevo/MSI versions of the P5000 are interchangeable? afaik the base PCB is basically always the same with just the vbios being different in each case. just wanna avoid potential incompatibilities when choosing a dell or HP version over MSI or clevo P5000 (due to scarcity in online offers, one cant be too choosy)

thx again!
    Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    triturbo likes this.
  9. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Oh is that true ? You got them the vbios they are using ?
    If so, mighty cool of you. Kudo's.
    When they were testing they reported it would not work well with the stock vbios in Alienware's but worked in MSI fine.

10. woodzstack

Reputations:
    The vbios over the P5000 are like guarded like gold, I been trying to desperately get my hands on it.
    So, much is unknown to me regarding them. My sale price of $2200CAD for those cards nets me very little of them and I've never actually tested it myself, thus far leaving it packaged and sent out directly when I do have them, unlike the other cards I test.
    If I wanted a P5000 for myself, I;d actually have to pay more, I know it sounds stupid but thats how it is :S

To much for me to invest for something I might not be able to get rid of or have any benifit in using. So you will have to ask someelse on the P5000 specifics, maybe Prema here has touched them, I do not know.

Ashtrix, triturbo and jaybee83 like this.