The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. dzpliu

dzpliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    it works on laptops with IGPU as well. Problem is that Gecube still have no idea how to make the video output to laptop monitors (EDP or LVDS), but from my guess, the output problem is a VBIOS problem.

2. loafer987

loafer987 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The msi cards fits almost nothing because not only does it have the tab, but it's around 3-4mm wider on the opposite side of the card from tab. Thats why i had to cut the chassis of my aw17 r1 between the cou and gpu. Look at my ranger success post if you want all the pics.
    I had my first msi card die at completely stock settings with no mods and hardly any load (playing WoW), but I believe the vrm section wasn't making perfect contact with my modded heatsink. That's the reason I further modded my heatsink and added a heatpipe from the vrm section directly to the aluminum fins. The msi card is a much better card but required much more work.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

3. Mullrof

Mullrof Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you mean, you have checked it on an optimus/enduro laptop with a working resault?
    please explain.

ChanceJackson likes this.
  4. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @loafer987 do you want to try a Clevo OC VBIOS for your MSI 1070? It works on my ZOTAC 1070.

ChanceJackson likes this.
  5. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah i want to know this too

6. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    as fas a i know the Gecube 480 can't output to eDP or LVDS that might be fixable by flashing it with the vBios of another card that uses the same Polaris chip but as far as I know, no one has bothered to try

7. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    There have been plenty of people inquiring about LVDS to GC and every time there was a solid rejection of support. As a result eDP was surmised as the only possible solution.

These latest posts are honestly the first I have heard about not supporting eDP either.

8. loafer987

loafer987 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last I heard a hardware flasher was required to flash these cards. Has that changed? Either way the cooling system in my aw17 even with mods struggles to keep my 1070 under 85*C. I'm not sure I want to risk the last of that headroom to squeeze a couple mhz. Thanks though.

I'd really like to try the modded system bios for the 17 but it looks like the forced flash causes the bios to boot in legacy mode which will cause my machine not to boot and I don't have a spare gpu to swap to solve that right now. Maybe I will find some spare time to try it in the future but I can't have that downtime at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Striker1234 likes this.
  9. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    Back when people were trying these cards on clevos they could only get video from the gecube 480 to display on external screen IIRC, there is a workstation mxm version of the 480 but no one who has it has bothered to upload their vBios IIRC but if someone would we could find out if the 480 has a hardware limitation or just a vBios limitation

ATM the GeCube 480 is just for mxm desktops and mxm based mining rigs to the best of my knowledge which is why I abandoned it as an upgrade path opting for Maxwell and Pascal cards

dzpliu and bennyg like this.
  10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Last I heard it didnt work well in Clevos because they used Dell sourced temp sensors.

ChanceJackson and bennyg like this.